HP P2000 G3

mgth

Hello, i hot a Lost raid 6 on a P2000 San, I could image all the drives but could only recover data ignoring Q, unfortunatly disks are out of Sync for almost 1month.
My question are you aware if this device is using specific algo for raid6, and any software that could deal with it.
Thank you.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say I've personally ever worked on one of those HPE SAN units. Nothing in the documentation that I'm seeing seems to suggest anything beyond a regular RS RAID 6, but it's hard to be sure. I know some other brands like EMC like to use a sort of diagonal parity rather than a Reed-Solomon parity block, so it's certainly possible.

But, even a relatively "standard" RAID 6 can be tough to figure out. Sometimes it's P before Q, other times it's Q before P. There's wide-stance, parity delay, left-symmetric rotation, left-asymmetric, right-symmetric...etc. etc. etc. in addition to the basics like block size and drive order.

So even if it is pretty standard, not usually an easy task.

De-striping the array can probably be done using R-Studio or UFS Explorer Professional. But, even if you get that far, you'll probably have to deal with carving out the virtual disks the SAN was using and hope that they aren't badly fragmented (which can be severe is you thin provision on the SAN with multiple VDs.)

mgth

Yes ! it did it with UFS Explorer ! Thanks a lot to point it out. It was not reed solomon but a diagonal xor. But the soft integrate an option for HP MSA that works nicely with an offset of 0x8000 for each disk.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! Thanks for the follow-up comment. So I guess they've adopted the diagonal parity too. I think it's supposed to be a lot faster for rebuilds than RS based RAID 6.

How was it carving out the virtual disk? Was it all pretty continuous once you had the RAID configuration straight?