HDDLiveCD changelog

2022_01_23
Updated HDDSuperClone to version 2.3.2
Updated HDDSCViewer to version 0.9.beta
Updated ddresuce to 1.26
I'm still using the old version 1.9 never needed more. thank you

pclab

Hey Maximus

A suggestion: make HddSuperClone to clone CD/DVD to file image.
What do you think?
Thanks

maximus

Hey Maximus

A suggestion: make HddSuperClone to clone CD/DVD to file image.
What do you think?
Thanks
First I would like to point out that this is one case where HDDSuperClone is absolutely no better than ddrescue. There is no advantage.

Second, it is very capable of cloning a CD/DVD to an image. You only need to choose the "Generic source device" mode, and the CD/DVD drive should be in the list of choices. It will even set the correct sector size. I just don't advertise that it can do that, partially because it isn't any better than ddrescue, and there are many tutorials of how to use ddrescue for that purpose.

dlong500

@maximus Is there any chance you could bring back the CLI for HDDSuperClone? I'm interested in purchasing the pro version but would highly prefer the ability to run on Linux without a GUI. Aside from making it much easier to use with a headless server that would also make it possible to use with scripts (as I currently am able to do with ddrescue).

Also, the warning about the app not working with Ubuntu 22.04 and the virtual driver not necessarily ever being fixed for newer kernel versions gives me pause about spending $200. I don't want to be locked into old Linux kernels and distributions. I'm sure you have reasons for why compatibility with newer kernels is challenging, but for a relatively pricey paid app it seems like that should be addressed.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
for a relatively pricey paid app it seems like that should be addressed.
It's pricey because it's for a specific sub-set of users who do professional data recovery. End users should be fine doing their one-off case with just the free version. Those who want the advanced features are mostly data recovery pros who don't have any issue dropping $200.

Newer kernels would be nice, but it's not exactly hard to just use a different version when dedicating a machine to run the software. Running an older kernel is a small price to pay for a tool that can pretty well keep up with hardware tools like DeepSpar which costs ~$2K and only runs in DOS (yes, actually DOS). At least with a Linux dedicated machine I can still multitask the computer for other purposes when I'm running HDDSuperClone.

dlong500

It's pricey because it's for a specific sub-set of users who do professional data recovery. End users should be fine doing their one-off case with just the free version. Those who want the advanced features are mostly data recovery pros who don't have any issue dropping $200.

Newer kernels would be nice, but it's not exactly hard to just use a different version when dedicating a machine to run the software. It's a small price to pay for a tool that can pretty well keep up with hardware tools like DeepSpar which costs ~$2K and only runs in DOS (yes, actually DOS).
I get what you are saying (especially relative to other specialized software that relies on old environments), but, no offense intended, it does get on my nerves a bit when apps can't keep up compatibility with basic OS kernel updates. It's different than asking for specific compatibility with every distribution under the sun.

I'm not just a home user. I may not be on the scale of having a clean room, but I do a fair amount of data recovery on a commercial basis and the price isn't really so much an issue as is the maintenance involved in keeping older environments around and yet another tool with specific requirements. When there are already a dozen machines (and dozens more virtual machines) the overhead can start to get a bit frustrating. Yes, I'm venting a bit, but I think it's a valid concern. Can you go into a bit more detail on exactly why it is challenging to maintain compatibility with newer kernel versions? I'm more curious than frustrated at why it seems like such a daunting task that you don't know if it will "ever" be updated. Sorry if any of that sounded abrasive. Maybe this tool isn't the best fit for me and I should just keep using my scripts with ddrescue and your useful ddrutility tools...

maximus

Can you go into a bit more detail on exactly why it is challenging to maintain compatibility with newer kernel versions? I'm more curious than frustrated at why it seems like such a daunting task that you don't know if it will "ever" be updated. Sorry if any of that sounded abrasive. Maybe this tool isn't the best fit for me and I should just keep using my scripts with ddrescue and your useful ddrutility tools...
Because when major changes are made in the kernel, it can be very difficult to find any information on how to modify the code to work. This can take many hours/days/weeks of time to attempt to figure out.

Also, as I have stated in the thread on hddguru, I am very seriously considering making HDDSuperClone free and open source, so that I am no longer obligated to support it. I am finding that I am no longer willing to spend hours/days/weeks to support it. My time is becoming more and more precious to me.

dlong500

Also, as I have stated in the thread on hddguru, I am very seriously considering making HDDSuperClone free and open source, so that I am no longer obligated to support it. I am finding that I am no longer willing to spend hours/days/weeks to support it. My time is becoming more and more precious to me.
Understood. I would love to see it be open sourced as that might enable me to work on some CLI functionality that would be better suited to my needs (and also just be really cool to see your amazing work). I'd actually be happy to donate $200 if it were open sourced.

maximus

I have been thinking heavily about making it open source, and now have made the first commitment step. I have placed a free license on the purchase page of the website and disabled the purchase pages. Everyone enjoy the free license, and feel free to donate. The source code will come in time, when I have the time to clean it up a bit and remove any sensitive info.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The source code will come in time
I would love to see that. I'm no programmer, but would love to take a look under the hood of your awesome work. Still happy I purchased a license, even if you are now going open source. Your work is a valid contribution to society.