HDDSuperClone Feature Requests

maximus

I think I now have a drive and cable coming that will work. And if I am reading the description right, it might be a lot of 3 drives (listing starts with "3x"), but it doesn't specifically say a lot or quantity of 3 so I will find that out when it gets here.

I might consider that fiber channel drive a $34 target when it gets here. Wonder how well it will hold up to 5.56? :twisted:

maximus

Time for me to get schooled on SAS drives. The one with the fiber channel interface showed up today (on a Saturday, not sure how that happened), and when I looked at it I realized the fiber channel interface was just an adapter, and the drive appears to have a normal SAS interface. So the cable that is on its way should work (I think, trying to figure out what is a "normal" SAS interface is not as easy as it seems for someone that doesn't know, Google was not doing a good job of explaining things). I am just a bit disappointed that I don't get to shoot it :roll:

maximus

Yes, and the cable I ordered is similar (I choose one with MOLEX power connections for my application). The hardest part was figuring out that SFF-8482 was the standard SAS drive connector. Google did not do a good job answering that question.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I found it a bit confusing the first time I had to bring in SAS equipment. Given that I need to recover from all types of devices though, I pretty much just order every cable and adapter I can find assuming I'll need them at some point in the future.

maximus

So the card and cable arrived, and I hooked up the drive. It sounds like it has lots of activity for a bit when powered up with no bad sounds, and then has a "heartbeat" every few seconds once it settles down, but it is not showing up as a device. I am sure the card is showing up as a RAID controller (lspci -v command). Is there something else special I am suppose to do?

maximus

Never mind, I was just not using the correct command to list the drive. And the scary thing is, if I would have actually opened HDDSuperClone and let it try to find the drive, it would have found it and listed it because of the simple way it looks for drives in passthrough mode :roll: :mrgreen:

And the drive registers as 520 byte sectors in my latest version of HDDSuperClone (which now has adjustable sector size with automatic detection), and can be read to an image file as such. I will still have to create the option to convert to 512 byte sectors, but that is just some programming.

maximus

Heh heh, had to try it in generic mode (like ddresucue), and it reports a size of 0, ddrescue sees the same. So reading a 520 sector size SAS drive appears to be something that ddrescue can't do. All the better for me :mrgreen:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Now you see why this is an awesome feature to add to the Pro version of your software.

It's not something everyone will need, but for those into really advanced stuff, it's a nice feature to have.