Feedback on logfile created by DDrescue

NNenov

Hi guys, reporting back after using hddsuperclone (hddsc):

It recovered just as much data as ddrescue, but I believe this is down to the nature of the issue with my drive:
The drive seems to be healthy overall, but with the one critical flaw that it would become unresponsive if it tried in any way to read any sectors in the first 8 or 9 % of the drive. (see my mapfile image in original post). I should add, with hddsuperclone, if I unplugged and re-connected the dead drive, and ran the command again, it would recover a few extra kb each time, so as Jared suggested, using hardware recovery tools which auto power-cycle the device would probably have yielded more data.

Since the first chunk of the drive wasn't recovered I assume the area with the boot info (MBR?) was never recovered.
So I cloned the drive, but it wouldn't mount and so was inaccessible.
Since this point I have formatted the destination drive and ran hddsc again to create an image file instead, I used these commands to ensure it read backwards only:
sudo hddsuperclone -s /dev/sdd -t image.dd -f hddsc.log --reverse --ata --no-phase2 --no-trim --do-divide2

Now with this image file, I thought I could use OSFMount to mount the image, but obviously that didn't work due to the missing first 9% of the drive!

Now I'm unsure exactly how to proceed, ideally I would like to just access it to extract some important files like my windows users folders..
I believe I need to use TestDisk? any help / advice / pointers on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Testdisk is fine if you're OK with only getting back nameless / folderless files. But, it'll be a ton of work sorting through it later. You'd have better success with something like R-Studio which can do a lot more analysis of the file system structures and indexing to hopefully get you back at least some filenames and folder structure.

NNenov

Ah I didn't know thats what it would produce, thanks for the heads up, I got to the stage of analysing the .dd file, it says it found 2 partitions, both of which it thinks are over 1TB, while the image itself is of a 500gb drive..
testdisk.png

I will definitely check out R-Studio.