DDI4 same same but different ?

Sam

Both screens are normal. Top shows DDI during imaging (streaming Hex data). Bottom looks like before before staring imaging. If imaging was in progress it would look exactly like top screen (streaming Hex data).
There was a firmware upgrade about 1.5 years ago that allows pressing 1, 2 or 3 to toggle between Hex view (like top screen) and a couple "summary" screens. Although I usually only use my DDI4s when I've got overflow on my PC3k, I thought it was quite a nice FW update.

slingshot

Thanks Sam, I think mine is missing that update which allows it. If I press 1,2 or 3 during imaging it just stops the imaging LoL.
Time to invest in updating the firmware :)

Sam

Yes, the $350 is definitely worth it. Also allows the newer version of the Recovery Environment which is notably improved.

slingshot

I spoke with Serge and have organised the update but it will now have to wait for a week as Im going away. Something to look forward to for when I get back.

Thanks again Sam.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I keep saying I should update my firmware on my DDI 4, but it's hard to justify any cost when I almost never use it now. Having the express card has all but eliminated my need for DDI.

slingshot

I prefer the DDI for imaging media damaged drives as I don't think the 3K is as good at that task. I find it to be a good tool to just set a job up on and leave it to do its thing for days on end.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I typically save it for slow cases or drives that don't respond well to software resets and need constant hard resets. DDI is much faster for hard resets than PC-3000 is, that's for sure.