DDI to DE

slingshot

Just fiddling around with the DDI and PC3K before the xmas break, and am curious as to why there is such a function in DRE that allows you to be able to export a LBA map that can then be imported into DE ? You can also do it the other way around (DE to DDI).

- Why would you want to do that ?

- How do you get it so the exported map opens in DE ? (I can't get it to work properly).

Thanks guys.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
slingshot":li5d219n said:
[post]12713[/post] - Why would you want to do that ?

Because maybe you started imaging on one tool, then decided a different tool would work better for the specific case. For example, maybe you need to free up a channel on your PC-3000 for a slow reading drive and want to move it to the DDI. Or maybe it's a drive you started imaging on DDI but a head failed half-way through and now it needs active utility actions to disable the bad head, so you've got to move from DDI to PC-3000.

slingshot":li5d219n said:
[post]12713[/post] - How do you get it so the exported map opens in DE ?

I think you need to create the task first in DE, make sure to use a sector map rather than a list of ranges, close it, then replace the map file with the one created by DDI and reopen it. I've never really messed around doing that, so I don't have too much experience beyond just playing around a little.

slingshot

Thanks Jared, it makes sense to me now. I have definitely had one job that was started on the 3K but I had to re do it using the DDI (as it handled it better) however, I wasted 10 days in the process, if only I knew this back then :lol:

I can try that tomorrow, seems logical to replace the map.bin file in the project directory on the 3000, never thought of that. I was trying to open it within a new task and just getting nothing out of it LoL.

Be interesting to see how it works in reverse as well (DE to DDI)

lcoughey

There may be some issues with the conversion with the most recent version of PC3000, as reported by at least one person on the DeepSpar forum. It seems that ACE made a change with which I'm not sure the latest version of DRE is equipped to translate yet. You can always contact Serge for further explanation.

slingshot

Typical, I'm running the latest versions of both as well :roll: I'll ask Serge what the deal is, Ace don't seem to be bothered.
Thanks Luke.

slingshot

lcoughey":2xjc2c1f said:
There may be some issues with the conversion with the most recent version of PC3000, as reported by at least one person on the DeepSpar forum. It seems that ACE made a change with which I'm not sure the latest version of DRE is equipped to translate yet. You can always contact Serge for further explanation.

Indeed there are issues, Serge has told me today that ACE Lab have removed support for legacy maps in the latest version, the map files in the 3000 are no longer bin files. Unless you are using an older version of the 3K software, it cant be done :(

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That's not good....what if we have an old task we need to re-visit... Might need to downgrade the software if that comes up.

slingshot

Yes that's what Serge has said to do, only way to use the maps is to downgrade the 3k software, I wonder if Deepspar will alter the DRE map process so it can fit into the latest version of DE or if that's the end of that :shock: