Cleaning HDD Heads & Platters

Tamabralski

I
Well, the last post is quite a while a go, but anyways. I tried these sensor cleaning swaps (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07S8R2FF7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) but didn't have good results as they left some dust on the platter. So I'm curious if anyone here found a good way to clean platters and also heads. I also tried the sensor cleaning swaps with 99.9% IPA, the result was even worth.

Have you had similar results or are my swaps of bad quality?
I will also try "medical water" but it hasn't arrived yet (https://www.aponeo.de/03113087-aqua-ad-injectabilia-miniplasco-connect-inj-lsg.html).

Fingerprints on test platter:
View attachment 1799

Fingerprint was removed after 3-4 swipes from the center to the outside of the platter with the dry sensor cleaning swab but dust was left:
View attachment 1800

This time I used a little bit of IPA 99,9% on the swap. I ended up with a mess...
View attachment 1801

So I'm curious what brought you the best results?!
Have a great weekend all.
I'm really curious if you made any progress.

Are the optic lenswipes like cleanroom wipes?

Tamabralski

Can anyone reccomend a brand cleanroom wipe that I can buy in the netherlands/europe?
I need wipes that could possibly remove a mark on a top platter. Made by a air pressure can. Such a headache. Im not even sure what it is. Since the can does not say what gas is used. I can only see the smudge under an angle in light.

I'm really curious if you made any progress.
I had some lens cleaners from amazon, they were ****, those from Rollei worked best for me (https://www.rollei.de/products/sensorreinigung-set-fuer-vollformatkameras-27000). I used them without the liquid but I have to do more testing.

Are the optic lenswipes like cleanroom wipes?
I think from the "cleanliness" they are probably both the same, but wipes are soft and the sensor cleaners are pretty stiff/solid.

Tamabralski

I had some lens cleaners from amazon, they were ****, those from Rollei worked best for me (https://www.rollei.de/products/sensorreinigung-set-fuer-vollformatkameras-27000). I used them without the liquid but I have to do more testing.

I think from the "cleanliness" they are probably both the same, but wipes are soft and the sensor cleaners are pretty stiff/solid.
Great info.
My first time trying to clean a platter. Do you have experience with 99.9% isopropynol and maybe using distilled water after. Or maybe a mixture of both to minimize any abrasive effects of the alcohol. It's for Western Digital blue platters from 2015. I hope they use some lubricant layer.

Can anyone tell me how the platters are made. Is the magnetic layer bare or does it have maybe a glass coating for protection on top?

My third attempt at hdd rescue. And I used a air can this time under laminar flow hood. But it left a mark viewable at an angle. Saturn brand ISY CL-3000 airduster. Does not say which gas is inside on the can. Only the safety level. [520] 1950 3. Which puts it in a flammable category and that's all I can get. Isy-online.de only has a phone number. And I don't want to bother them with my bad German.

Thanks all, for any information or advice.

Last edited:

Tamabralski

I will order some cleanroomwipes dry and ipa 99.9%. The prewetted ones are for electronics. The dry ones are 100% polyester anti ESD, cleanroom iso 4 and higher approved and non abrasive. I wonder if that is even possible. Non abrasive.

I will order some cleanroomwipes dry and ipa 99.9%. The prewetted ones are for electronics. The dry ones are 100% polyester anti ESD, cleanroom iso 4 and higher approved and non abrasive. I wonder if that is even possible. Non abrasive.
Where do you order the whipes from? And what was your result with them?

gameboybin

Have anyone tried that blue block of rubber that those Watch makers, fixers use???

Attachments

• Screenshot (23).jpg
    Screenshot (23).jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 5