Bizarre Seagate Case

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
samick":3orrp5oa said:
[post]5848[/post] Cool! I guess all that matters in the end is it's another "W" on the scoreboard

Yeah, I'm not losing any sleep over the why or how. Got the data, so that's all that matters. I'll see if the customer will let me keep the drive afterward. Would make a nice research case study to play around with.

Interesting Jared ,
I am of the opinion that having variety of tools help i have salvation doctos,dfl srp,mrt and pc3k not deepspar i will buy 2 units some day surely

Probably there was dust on one head or on a platter (maybe not very clean room from previous labs), dust has been mostly wiped out by air flow in your clean bench (which it is probably cleanest than other labs bech) and by platters rotation airflow.
IMHO

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
michael chiklis":2iqqimhs said:
Probably there was dust on one head or on a platter (maybe not very clean room from previous labs), dust has been mostly wiped out by air flow in your clean bench (which it is probably cleanest than other labs bech) and by platters rotation airflow.
IMHO

Maybe. I do run a clean hood that's way beyond the Class 100 "standard". Perhaps the $400/ea filters are actually worthwhile after all.

Jared":3q9v8xs7 said:
So here's the interesting way this case worked out. I left it imaging on DDI hitting very consistent blocks of unreadable sectors. At around the 10% mark it started only hitting some slow patches but not any bad ones. By 16% it was imaging full speed and hitting no bad blocks (before in DE it was hitting them everywhere). After imaging the remaining data, it went backwards on pass 2 and was now able to read almost all the previously unreadable sectors. Just finishing up pass 3 now and although it's slow it's cleaning up every last sector. Even read the MBR, which I'd tried at least 20 times to read in DE to no avail. Seems like this mystery problem just went away on it's own during imaging.

Wrong ,
Because You Folks Are all Stuck Up On Pc3k Only The World Finishes For You If Job Cannot Be Done In That Tool .Any Modern Seagate Drive Temperature Plays a Very Important Part In Head Reading .Assume You Have a Drive With 4 Heads And 1 Heads is Weak ,Image The Others and Then Try Power Drive Down and Up Once and Start Imaging Weak Head Voila Magic

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":2wkulgw0]
Jared":2wkulgw0 said:
So here's the interesting way this case worked out. I left it imaging on DDI hitting very consistent blocks of unreadable sectors. At around the 10% mark it started only hitting some slow patches but not any bad ones. By 16% it was imaging full speed and hitting no bad blocks (before in DE it was hitting them everywhere). After imaging the remaining data, it went backwards on pass 2 and was now able to read almost all the previously unreadable sectors. Just finishing up pass 3 now and although it's slow it's cleaning up every last sector. Even read the MBR, which I'd tried at least 20 times to read in DE to no avail. Seems like this mystery problem just went away on it's own during imaging.

Wrong ,
Because You Folks Are all Stuck Up On Pc3k Only The World Finishes For You If Job Cannot Be Done In That Tool .Any Modern Seagate Drive Temperature Plays a Very Important Part In Head Reading .Assume You Have a Drive With 4 Heads And 1 Heads is Weak ,Image The Others and Then Try Power Drive Down and Up Once and Start Imaging Weak Head Voila Magic

I just explained how I solved this case and got back all the data, yet you respond with "wrong"???

Getting back all the data is not wrong, it's very right. If you're going to talk condescendingly at least have a clue.