Bitlocker, TPM & S.M.A.R.T?

wussupi83

I performed a full disk clone using Clonezilla and a Coolgear USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter with Write-Protect Selection. I know that the drive was definitely mounting as read-only during the process because Clonezilla was reporting the read-only file systems during it's drive scanning phase.

Before testing the cloned disk, I first installed the original source disk back into the computer and it asked me for the bitlocker recovery key. Unlike other posts here, the key is not the issue because I have that.

What I am really curious about is why I'm even being asked for a key.

I know the drive was mounted as read-only via a SATA write blocker. Therefore, I have good reason to believe that the data on the drive is identical to what it was the last time the system booted.

The only likely scenario I can come up with is that the drive controller itself wrote some data. (I know for sure that S.M.A.R.T would of been updated to monitor the amount of times the drive has been powered on, the amount of hours it ran and not to mention a few hundred GigaBytes of data being read probably changed some other statistics.)

The drive was a SSD for reference.

I've skimmed through a lot of Microsoft documentation and a few white papers but didn't really get a good idea on what could've signaled a change outside of the drive's controller.

If anyone could provide some insight I'd much appreciate it.

pclab

I didn't get it...
You are having problems with the clone? It's asking for bitlocker key, is that it? If it is, you say that the original one also ask for the key....

wussupi83

To be more clear, the cloned disk is not the question or the problem. I'm more curious as to why the source disk is asking for the bitlocker recovery key after being installed in the original computer.

pclab

I had a case of a client with a Surface, that from a moment to the other asked for the key. He didn't created any (so he says)....

jol

wussupi83":2g8pv2zk said:
[post]10003[/post] Yes the original disk is asking for the key. That's what I'm curious about as to why.
have you installed the original disk on another computer (other then the original computer)

wussupi83

jol":2zjmag41 said:
wussupi83":2zjmag41 said:
[post]10003[/post] Yes the original disk is asking for the key. That's what I'm curious about as to why.
have you installed the original disk on another computer (other then the original computer)

Only when I was performing the clone and during that process I was using a write-blocker to prevent changes to the original disk.