Bad Start to a Day

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
This morning I come in to find my PC-3000 computer shut down, and I know I had left it on last night. Go to boot it up, just a few scary hard drive beeps and nothing but a black screen. Now I'm imaging it's drive on DDI hoping on a fresh drive it'll boot so I don't have to reinstall everything and re-activate PC-3000 software. Not a good start to my day. :roll:

jol

Jared":yk004b6v said:
Not a good start to my day. :roll:
indeed
Jared":yk004b6v said:
hoping on a fresh drive it'll boot so I don't have to reinstall everything and re-activate PC-3000 software.
not to reinstall everything i can understand but what is the problem with re-activate PC-3000, you mentioned that in the same sentence with reinstall everything that makes it look like a problem.

a little laugh aside, how much do you charge for this recovery :) not fun at all :cry:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think I might have a really old image of this machine. But, still you know how you get used to things being a certain way. I don't store anything critical on any local machine, so I don't bother with regular backups of them. Anything of value is already synced with my NAS and on an offsite backup.

Ace activation isn't a major issue, just that you're usually sitting there a couple hours waiting for it to happen. At least I know it took that long when I initially activated the software.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, at the end of the day it turns out the drive wasn't the issue after all. Imaged 100% of the sectors onto a brand new Toshiba 3Tb drive, put it in and fired it up. Initially it started to boot, then the new drive started clicking away too. Seems it's either a bad power supply or possibly something crazy wrong with the motherboard causing it to keep re-calibrating and SA seeking over and over.

Time to start building that new computer I guess. Hopefully I can Jerry rig this one to work for a couple weeks until I can get my PC-3000 Express card in. I'm not going through all the work to set up another 32bit system just to have to update it in a month.