Android Data Recovery ROM

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't do much for phone recoveries, because I don't find it all that profitable. However I do occasionally have an insistent customer who really wants me to try recovering something from an Android phone, often from phones that are stuck in a boot loop or otherwise not fully loading to the OS to where you could use traditional software.

I've heard of some guys loading a basic Linux ROM onto the phone and being able to image the phones memory for data recovery. So I'm just curious if anyone has or knows of a good universal linux rom that they'd be willing to share for this purpose???

I'm sure I could set something up myself it needed, but would certainly be easier if someone already has something like this.

jol

Jared":1sr8dd0a said:
[post]5599[/post][...]often from phones that are stuck in a boot loop or otherwise not fully loading to the OS to where you could use traditional software.
Have you tried to boot in safe mode ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but some phones have odd issues that prevent this. Usually by the time they end up here some phone repair guy has already messed around with it and determined that it's bricked.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The one I'm working on at the moment does try to boot, it just gets stuck on this stupid Droid Razr red eye boot graphic screen. What I'd love to see is an ultra light version of Linux which can boot from the micro SD as an update, that'll then either make it possible to mount the phones memory via USB or just auto ddrescue the phone memory to the SD card.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, unfortunately seems a nuke and pave is the only offered solution I can find. Not exactly the way to go when it's the data you want back and not the phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Right, which can't be done unless you have developer mode enabled. That's where I'm thinking an "update package" might have an edge as it won't be dependent on the Android OS at all.