Ancient Hard Drive Advice

jol

Jared":35bdv9g9 said:
Is it already on the update server?
usually it's not automatically in the update server (need to ask, i asked & and received a few min. later)
Jared":35bdv9g9 said:
I haven't checked and I'm not exactly sure what version is on the DVD they sent with it.
i find it hard to believe that you have it in the DVD (just been released today)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I checked the DVD, not version 6 still version 5 point something. I did just receive it this week, so though maybe they threw the latest on there.. :D

jol

unfortunately it didn't worked for me with the new Ver.
a good C/H/S (PIO2) working HDD in my computer (5 years old) but not on PC3K (new ver. with right settings (PIO2))
a ticket has been opened (waiting to hear back from ACE)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OMG, I'm such a TART!!! :lol:

I'm going crazy here trying to figure out why I can't get this thing to ID anywhere. Turns out the customer had switched out the PCB's between the original and the parts drive they sent.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just as a test I'm cloning the donor one in PIO on my express card and it's working fine. Will take a whopping 3 minutes to image it. haha.

jol

great, congrats
so apparently the new ver (6.0x) do work and recognize C/H/S
because my C/H/S guinea pig Maxtor 7245AT that works just fine on my 5 year old computer don't work in PC3K (new ver.)
BTW what was the problem with the drive ? (sounds not serious except PCB exchange)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I'm thinking it's not a CHS drive at all. I read it in PIO mode, and it seemed pretty normal (though there's no utility for it). I just finished imaging the patient one and no bad sectors so I'm honestly not sure. Perhaps it's just a software corruption case complicated by the PCB not being original. They are concerned about it needing to boot, but it's hard to know for sure if it will.

Could be that the drive is just a bit flaky and the PC-3000 kept it stable enough to read, or could be logical.

jol

Jared":1meb8mxc said:
Honestly, I'm thinking it's not a CHS drive at all.
by reading the manual... definitely a C/H/S (but who cares the data is out :) )
Jared":1meb8mxc said:
Could be that the drive is just a bit flaky and the PC-3000 kept it stable enough to read, or could be logical.
:cry: imaging in 3 min. is just the beginning :cry: i wish you luck