3Tb SSD

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just noticed this article: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 37378.html

Looks like they are about to start shipping 3Tb SSD drives to North America from Japan. Looks like the end of traditional hard drives may be coming quickly.

Fortunately their 1Tb version is $990 so the 3Tb will still be out of most people's price range. But it's only a matter of time.

lcoughey

I'm not so sure I'd want to be the first one to own a new 3TB SSD made by a company that I've never heard of before. Though, they can't be any worse than those of the popular brands.

HaQue

Me neither, but I guess they are all using the same parts, and I also think there wouldn't be many SSD firmware shops that sell their technology to the actual brand name vendors.
If the controller was Sandforce or a another that is unfriendly to DR, then it is a no-brainer - don't touch it, or have a no-loss backup system.
These disks integrate Fixstars' proprietary NAND controller
is scary...

Also the 5TB model coming this spring.. holy cow imagine dumping all those NANDs. Can our DR software even handle that much when finding XOR, mix etc?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
True, but let's face it, it takes less raw material to build an SSD than a HDD. Right now prices are high due to all the R&D still going into the SSDs but in time manufacturers will push to make them the mainstream.

That's my thinking on it.

HaQue

I don't think the shift to SSDs will be as slow as some people think. Current SSDs are getting tricky enough. If one waits for even a year before they start focusing R&D into DR on these, it may be impossible to pickup at that time.

With all the NSA stuff as well, push to make things secure is not help. at. all. ! Thanks NSA, I hope destroying the trust of pretty much everything was worth it.