256Gb Phones from Asus

HaQue

The size has an impact on time, storage, processing time and greater chances for parts of the dump to contain errors... so it makes our jobs cost more, which in turn lowers the number of cases customers accept.

But this is a worry if encryption doesn't kill the chances before you even start. The encryption is the single factor I fear the most for a DR career. But encryption can be a brick wall, and in future I think we will see more used by default.

lcoughey

Someone who specializes only in SSD and Flash predicted that we will see success rates drop to under 25% as we move away from spindle based HDD. So, that will push a lot of data recovery labs out of business and, for those who are able to survive, their prices will have to increase significantly.

HaQue

I am hesitant to predict too much, as we see lots in the news, in press releases and people saying whats "on the horizon". things such as 3D NAND, if you listened to people a year or 2 ago, should by now have been everywhere, but there has been no big upset yet. There is just too many working TSOP and Monolith Fabs around still that is impossible to quickly shift to anything too new. I think it will be like everything else, the gradual shift to the new will allow most of us to keep kind of with it.

I think that prediction is quite on the money to say based on what we know.

The problem with encryption though is you can keep the whole system exactly the same, but stick a tiny, cheap, easy to produce chip in between and write some software - now it is unrecoverable, or not feasible to crack without having some handy vulnerability.

maybe the vendors themselves will have more recovery centres around, so they can hold onto their secrets.

The next 5 years is going to be VERY interesting IMHO. I hope the aging brain cells can keep up!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the vendors have any interest in recoverability. IMHO the encryption is exactly for the purpose of blocking data recovery by the shady people. And, if a few innocent people end up losing their data permanently they'll have to buy a second device to back up in the future. Data loss is a win-win for the manufacturers of storage memory devices.