Pictures of Sliders At High Magnification

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So I just got a new microscope, which is much better than what I've had previously. Just look at the detail you can see of a slider at really good magnification:

Slider Under Microscope.JPG

It looks like a Klingon Bird of War...must be some Trekkies at WD.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another which I think came from a Seagate. Hard to say, it's just from a bin of old bad heads:

Seagate Slider.jpg

nice, how about the handle ? can you easily position the microscope at the right angle ?? can you share link of this microscope type?

LarrySabo

Nice and clear, and sharp. By all means, show us what you used, and tell us how you hold/maneuver the head stack to get a clear shot. Here are a couple of shots taken with my 2MP AndonStart USB microscope.

My major complaint, is that focusing at such close-up distances and getting the light just right takes way too much time, and places the lens dangerously close to the heads, risking damage if not careful. I also have a 10x-60x optical microscope but it doesn't fit in the clean chamber and doesn't have a camera.

2aiefpz.jpg

359xto0.jpg

Sam

Jared, those pics look exactly like what I see looking into my AmScope SW-3T24Z-FRL
http://www.amscope.com/20x-40x-80x-trin ... aQodQJwPFQ
I got a 5MP camera for it and my pics look like Larry's (good thing he circled that huge blob of contamination... don't think I would have noticed it otherwise :lol: ) but a 3MP would have been plenty resolution.
Would yours happen to be something similar?

I like the boom-arm version because I can push it to the side and just swing it over when I need to inspect heads. Fancy eh?

By the way, what were you using before? I don't think I'd be able to properly inspect/clean sliders properly with an image quality any lower than what my scope provides now.

abedalkareem: obviously with the type of scope I have, it's not about about the position of the scope or the camera, but more about positioning the head stack underneath. For this I use a mini-clamp that I modified to securely hold any head stack. Then I use the handle on the clamp to position the HSA for my viewing pleasure.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's basically this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-76X-Ste ... HJgo0Tya6Q
Though the one listed there is a slightly newer version with basically the same specs. I had to just hold the heads at an angle to see between them, but the nice open work area makes that easy enough to do.

I bought it primarily for working on flash memory, not inspecting heads. But, just wanted to see how clear it would look at 90X magnification.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":1pvhfl0i said:
Nice and clear, and sharp. By all means, show us what you used, and tell us how you hold/maneuver the head stack to get a clear shot. Here are a couple of shots taken with my 2MP AndonStart USB microscope.

I find this ebay listing to be a bit disturbing. Look at what some of the accessories say:
Multi-function Tube: gynaecology self-checking, haemorrhoids-checking

This seems like a bad idea. :shock:

Hey Larry, why's this microscope smell funny? :lol:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I do like the dental mirror attachment though. If it's small enough might be handy for inspecting between platters for lost sliders and scratches.

Sam

Clever, Larry, very clever.

Jared, you threw me for a loop--you quoted the link I put up for my microscope.

The link anyone reading this thread is going to want to check out for themselves is the one in Larry's post--he's the one with the hemorrhoid camera that he's using for data recovery :lol:

I have to wonder how adding "Multi-function Tube: gynaecology self-checking, haemorrhoids-checking" helps with sales...