Finnegander
Data Recovery Noob

How to Clone a Hard Drive With Bad Sectors Using ddrescue

Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 pm

I have run into an issue using this tutorial.

I am attempting make an exact clone of an old 512GB HDD to a new 1TB HDD. Working thru this guide, I ran the following command: “ sudo ddrescue -f -r3 /dev/sda /dev/sdb ‘/home/ubuntu/Desktop/Disk Repair Logs/log1.log’ “. Everything seemed to be working; it rescued all 500GB over 6 days with only 8kB lost, and then the program finished. However, now when I open the new hard drive it is entirely empty save for two files, “Recovery” and “System Volume Information”, totaling no more than 140MB.

Have I missed something? Where is all the rescued data? What are these two files? I am not looking to create an image, nor am I trying to copy just a partition. I wish to make a byte-for-byte clone of the original drive.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jared
Forum Admin

Wed May 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Are you sure you had the /sda and /sdb correct and didn't clone the wrong direction?

Finnegander
Data Recovery Noob

Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Jared wrote:Are you sure you had the /sda and /sdb correct and didn't clone the wrong direction?

Yep. I triple checked before I started the whole process. The original drive still has all its files, and the new drive, which was previously empty, now has just those two files I mentioned. Those files appear to be text docs, but I can't really tell since they won't open.

Is there a way to verify whether the ddrescue is indeed writing to a specified drive? For example, could a person run the program, let it "rescue" a certain amount of data, then interrupt the program and check if the specified drive has been filled with the same amount?

Jared
Forum Admin

Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 am

Ddrescue will generally stop if it has an issue reading or writing the data. So if it ran for six days I'm sure it was doing something. Perhaps try scanning that destination drive with some data recovery software such as R-Studio or Recovery Explorer and see what it finds. Maybe the MFT is just corrupted.

njmiano
Data Recovery Noob

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Just registered to say thanks for the write up. I have used a variety of data recovery tools, but never ddrescue, and your guide explained what it was doing and what the options mean in a very clear and concise way. Thanks for making the internet a better place.

Johnmac
Data Recovery Noob

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 am

Before starting this process, you will need a copy of ddrescue (preferably on a CD or DVD), a fully functional hard drive, and the damaged drive. You can download the latest version of ddrescue here, or click here to download SystemRescueCD, a system rescue disk for Linux that can be used as a bootable USB stick or CD.

Of these options, we’d recommend using the SystemRescueCD, since it provides for a fairly simple hard disk cloning process with ddrescue.

To run ddrescue, use the following format for commands:

ddrescue [options] infile outfile [logfile]

With SystemRescueCD, you can output a list of devices by typing fdisk -1 at the root prompt. Run the utility with the command switches/options included below in order to get a clone of the drive as safely as possible.

To image from disk to disk:

root# ddrescue -f -n /dev/[baddrive] /dev/[gooddrive] /root/recovery.log

To image from disk to image file:

root# ddrescue -f -n /dev/[baddrive] /root/[imagefilename].img /root/recovery.log
For more information visit our site data recovery service Dubai

stevenstepp
Data Recovery Noob

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 am

Thank you for your time, its very helpful for me.

Return to “Data Recovery Tutorials”