HDDSuperClone

maximus

pclab":13jip914 said:
[post]4725[/post] I'm almost sure that what they do is use R-Studio and Ghost to image a drive.
Ghost can actually image a drive with a few bad sectors? I thought it would choke...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
maximus":13lotyqe said:
[post]4732[/post] I live in the Unites States of paranoia and lawsuits.

Which one of those states are you in? Perhaps I can sanitize and get you a few crapped out drives that people leave here for recycling after recovery is done.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I used to live in Anchorage and Valdez when I was a kid. Been a few years but I'm no stranger to AK.

maximus

Jared":3ssilszg said:
[post]4745[/post]Which one of those states are you in? Perhaps I can sanitize and get you a few crapped out drives that people leave here for recycling after recovery is done.
While I do live in a state surrounded by water on 3 sides, it is fresh water :)

I may just take you up on the offer, and of course offer to pay shipping (as long as you don't overnight it!)

The first requirement for any drive is that it must be visible to a computer bios. If it cannot be seen by bios, I cannot work with it.

The second requirement is that I want drives that fault out and require power cycles when certain areas are read. I already have enough drives that just have bad sectors.

But I do need at least one that meets one additional requirement. It must be able to be seen in Linux, and it must be able to read some sectors by the OS before it goes awol (even if just sector 0 by either ddrescue or hddsuperclone-free). If an fdisk -l command will list the partition data of the drive without an error then that counts too.

And while not at all required, if you were to happen to supply an approximate area (LBA) of the drive that would cause a fault, that would be a bonus :D

maximus

Version 0.4 has been released, and reverse is now implemented. I had a scare when doing data integrity testing, but luckily the bug does not affect the free version (WHEW! :? ). I have performed data integrity tests on the free version for both normal and reverse modes, and it passed both. While I am going to perform more tests with different options before upgrading it to beta, I feel that it is stable enough now to say that it should be okay to actually use.

As for needing a drive that meets the requirements stated in the previous post, I have an idea to try on a drive I currently have. It will fault out, but can't be seen by Linux because it gets faulted out from some command. I am inspecting dmesg and have found that it looks like it is failing when trying to read log 10h. If I can write to that log and get the drive to remap that sector, I may end up with the drive I need. Still have to try that yet though...