HDDSuperClone

nissimezra

Jared":2xqjr84l said:
nissimezra":2xqjr84l said:
[post]10240[/post] I recovered 70% of the cases without any professional tool and not of big knowledge.

That's because you're not getting in the same types of cases that we are. People who have a drive that is clicking often will do enough research to know their computer guy isn't going to be able to do anything. Once you start offering a bonafide data recovery service that people assume to be a real lab, you'll start getting all sorts of crispy critter drives coming in.

More than half the cases we receive are coming from computer shops who couldn't recover the data using the types of means you're talking about. So we get a lot more difficult cases than easy stuff you can solve with an off the shelf data recovery program. You'll find out soon enough if you actually try to make a go of getting into this business.

I agree with you, most of the people coming to me are aware that it's a basic DR only and I'm always explaining the risks.

nissimezra

maximus":i86821ky said:
It will be hard to sell only for WD because you have the wdmarvel very solid and well known tool AND windows based program.
Adding free ddrescue and you are looking at almost the same tool.
Thats only my opinion anyway I wish you good luck.
I am not trying to sell firmware tools. I have a very good cloning tool, the freeware version is already better than ddrescue. The upcoming pro version has options that are well beyond what ddrescue can do. The idea is to provide a cloning tool that can rival some of the hardware based cloning tools, without needing to buy the very expensive hardware.
Hi Maximus

I had another WD passport same model, I applied the fix, on the 32 module I received an eror that it couldn't be verify but still the fix worked finished in 2 hours 1 tb hfs

Thanks

maximus

nissimezra":lsqfonu5 said:
I had another WD passport same model, I applied the fix, on the 32 module I received an eror that it couldn't be verify but still the fix worked finished in 2 hours 1 tb hfs

Thanks
From what I can tell, the mod 02 patch is really the one that fixes the slow issue, as it turns off background scanning. I am glad that you are having luck with hddsupertool for the WD slow fix, and wish you continued success. I don't see many reports of people using it anymore, and sometimes wonder how much is it being used.

maximus

So I have merged hddsupertool into hddsuperclone so it will be one single executable program, and to run hddsupertool in the future will require adding the option --tool when starting hddsuperclone. This will allow future ability to do scripting directly within the cloning tool, plus now I won’t keep breaking hddsupertool every time I update the IO code. I am currently working on making sure everything is working, and trying to figure out how to handle the different sets of documentation when releasing. I also still have to add info about some of the pro features in the documentation.

And technically I now have the licensing ability in place, and the next release will have the ability to load a license file to activate the pro version. I don’t plan on selling it right away on the next release, as there is more work to do to get everything ready. But I will soon be able to hand out temporary trials to selected individuals for evaluation.

So now I have to figure something out. There are features I would like to add before selling to the public, along with trying to make some quick start documentation to supplement the direct but somewhat confusing existing documentation. My dilemma is the choice of just pulling the trigger and start selling when all the required things are in place, or wait even longer (not like this project has taken a long time or anything…) to make it like I want it before selling. The problem with waiting until it is like I want it is that I just keep finding more things that need to be done, and it will never be ready. If I just go for it, I risk putting out clunky software that may not get the best reviews, plus then there may be more requests for support which will take away from my programming time. Somehow I need to figure out how to find the balance.

pclab

If you already feel comfortable that the product is ready and mature with the functions it already have, why not start selling it?
And future improvements, will be like any other software: improvements. That's why we go from version 1.0 to 2.0, right? heheheh

lcoughey

If you are making it a GUI-only interface, should you not have it so that it can be started from within the gui, without command line?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
lcoughey":2zccz3w2 said:
If you are making it a GUI-only interface, should you not have it so that it can be started from within the gui, without command line?

That would be nice. A package installer that creates a link on the desktop to run it. Convenience is everything if you're going to market it to guys who aren't Linux savvy.

maximus

pclab":1mo26yvx said:
If you already feel comfortable that the product is ready and mature with the functions it already have, why not start selling it?
And future improvements, will be like any other software: improvements. That's why we go from version 1.0 to 2.0, right? heheheh
Yeah, I just need to get to a point where I am comfortable, which means I need to make sure the documentation is as good as it needs to be. There are a few quirks and things I will need to make clear. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I need to be comfortable about the documentation as much as the program.

maximus

Jared":bpo6gvdy said:
[post]10364[/post]
lcoughey":bpo6gvdy said:

That would be nice. A package installer that creates a link on the desktop to run it. Convenience is everything if you're going to market it to guys who aren't Linux savvy.
Linux is a bit funky about that. I did make desktop links on the live cd, but I am not sure about being able to do that with an installer.