Help with recovery tools for linux based Raid1 formatted HDD

gsantosoliver

Greetings from Brazil

I have a WD NAS with 2 HDD in RAID1. Some time back the raid1 failed and the NAS attempt to 'initialize' the HDD that was reported as failed, however it has never completed. So I used the NAS with just one HDD (still in RAID1) until a power outage seems to damage the HDD (it clicks and does not work anymore).

So, I am trying to retrieve the data from the first HDD, that still works BUT had that attempt of 'initialization' with the hope that one of these data recovery tools can help me

What I have done so far:
  • Created a image from it in another HDD using gddrescue in Ubuntu
  • Ran R-Linux (in Ubuntu and in Windows) - it did not find any of the files I want to recover
  • Tried to use ZAR-X in Windows and it does not recognize the partition where the data is (basically, the drive has 4 partitions, so does the disk image) so I can't scan it.
  • I have not tried to run the scan directly in the drive (ZAR-X recognizes all the partitions from the HDD) since I read somewhere you would never run these tools directly against the source drive

So I wonder now what my options are. I can run tools on Ubuntu or Windows and would prefer a open source/free tool before trying any of the paid ones

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Gilson

gsantosoliver

Give DMDE a shot. The trial will let you recover some data, and if you need more it's only like $20 for a paid license. It's usually good for lost partition situations.

Hey, thanks for the help. The scan finally has finished and it found a lot of files. One thing I am trying to find but I could not so far is the folder structure so that I can try to recover some files. How can I get that in DMDE?

Thanks!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on how badly damaged the folder structure is, sometimes getting full folder structure back isn't possible. After you complete the full scan, it should present you with a list of found file systems. You may have to browse through several of them before you find the right one.

gsantosoliver

It depends on how badly damaged the folder structure is, sometimes getting full folder structure back isn't possible. After you complete the full scan, it should present you with a list of found file systems. You may have to browse through several of them before you find the right one.
Yes, there are a bunch of file systems - 127. So, how can I tell which one is the correct one and contains the folder structure?
Screenshot from 2022-06-06 10-26-11.jpeg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'd start in those root folders and see if you can find your data in there somewhere. Somewhere you should find your NAS share folders.

gsantosoliver

Hi @Jared - I clicked everywhere under that option and none of them gave me a folder structure just like it was before. The files seem to appear, all renamed using a number sequence. I don't think that will work for me since having the folder structure and original file names are also part of the recovery...

What else can i try?