USB Toshiba v63700-C 1TB --> no access anymore

krischeu

Hi,
my customer has a USB Toshiba v63700-C 1TB.
PN:HDTB110EK3BA

She was backup her photos from her family to this drive. No other backup is availiable.

When I plug it at my PC/Notebook, it takes a minute and ask for formatting.
Starting device manager I can see the device. Photo of the snap shot is attached.

Any ideas are welcome.

Best Regards,
Heinz

Attachments

• USB HDD.PNG
    USB HDD.PNG
    58.7 KB · Views: 7

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No other backup is availiable.
Then step one is to make a sector by sector clone of the drive. There's a guide to using ddrescue in the tutorials section of this forum.
ask for formatting.
don't do that under any circumstance

A drive suddenly going RAW could be a sign of failing hardware, so cloning first will help to determine if that's a factor. After that, and assuming it clones without issues, it's time to spin up some data recovery software and see what a scan finds.

krischeu

Hi,
Thank you for your help. I will do the ddrescue.

I saw some people solder a cable onto the PCB and put the drive into a PC. Is this the way after I did the ddrescue?

Best Regards,
Heinz

krischeu

Then step one is to make a sector by sector clone of the drive. There's a guide to using ddrescue in the tutorials section of this forum.

don't do that under any circumstance

A drive suddenly going RAW could be a sign of failing hardware, so cloning first will help to determine if that's a factor. After that, and assuming it clones without issues, it's time to spin up some data recovery software and see what a scan finds.
Here we go ;-)
ddrescue /dev/sdc /media/hk/TARGET/toshiba.img /home/hk/Schreibtisch/toshiba.log
/dev/sdc is the toshiba USB hdd

Attachments

• toshiba.png
    toshiba.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 1

krischeu

So here we are after 11 hours.
Should I wait before I put ddrescue from backwards?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 4

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it'll hurt to switch to backwards. It could be just one bad area it's stuck in.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I saw some people solder a cable onto the PCB and put the drive into a PC. Is this the way after I did the ddrescue?
I'm not sure what you saw, but I don't see any need for soldering anything here.

krischeu

Thank you for your response and help.
In the picture is now something with "backwards". But I don't break the job and I don't told ddrescue anything with backwards.
Is this ok? --> I will do stopping the job and starting with a flag "-R"
3.png

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You've now cloned over 98% of the data, so that's good. But, you've still got close to 20Gb it needs to try to clean up. I'd let it keep running a bit longer if it were me. Keep an eye on the "time since last successful read:" time. 16s isn't bad, which means it's still reading some sectors. If you see that number start to get really high, you probably aren't rescuing any more data.

But, it never hurts to pause ddrescue, scan the clone now in some data recovery software, and see if the important data is already saved. You can always resume ddrescue, that's what the log is for.

krischeu

Thank you to have a look at me ;-)
Now ddrescue is at pass 5. I think I let that still go on for 1 or 2 days.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 4