Read and copy rom

Isidoro80

Hello I have a toshiba usb 3 hd 2.5 with g0034a controller.
i noticed that if i connect it to the pc directly it doesn't see it while if i connect it to a powered usb3 hub it sees it. I can read a folder but i can't read and copy file.
I have tested the HDD with a data recovery software but I had to interrupt the process because the reading of the sectors is very slow. 6-10 kb per second. i would replace the g0034a controller with a g4311a controller.
to transfer the bios from the old card to the new one, do I have to transfer the chip or can I use a hardware programmer for bios?
could this reader be good for reading and copying the rom?

KeeYees SOP8 SOIC8 Test Clip per EEPROM 25CXX / 24CXX + CH341A 24 Programmatore USB Flash BIOS EEPROM Serie 24 25 https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07SNTL5V6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_CMHJ8CD1VTXKQ2M6KZVR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The chip in g0034 is winbond wq80ewt. I don't know the chip in g4311a.
I search wq80ewt but it seems not to exist.

transferring the chip is difficult for non-experts and I can't get a technician.
someone told me that perhaps this operation is useless because the problem is not in the controller but in the disks. what do you suggest me to do?

Last edited:

pclab

Those clips are a pain. I have tested them and not worth it.
Try to ask a good electronics guy to do it for you.

Isidoro80

Those clips are a pain. I have tested them and not worth it.
Try to ask a good electronics guy to do it for you.
hello is there a software to understand if the hard disk controller is working correctly before changing it?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I would just assume on the PCB of the drive being fine in your case. I've seen very few Toshiba native USB drives with bad PCBs. Maybe one or two in my entire career, not counting obviously damaged ones with something like a ripped-off USB header. Most likely the issue is bad sectors, over-filled g-list, weak heads, etc.

I'd bet the PCB is just fine.

Isidoro80

Thanks
I would just assume on the PCB of the drive being fine in your case. I've seen very few Toshiba native USB drives with bad PCBs. Maybe one or two in my entire career, not counting obviously damaged ones with something like a ripped-off USB header. Most likely the issue is bad sectors, over-filled g-list, weak heads, etc.

I'd bet the PCB is just fine.