Zero size files

pclab

Hi Guys

I'm working on a drive here (a WD USB), that the issue is some reading problems on head 3.
After mapping the files/folders with Data Extractor, I imaged everything without any major problems.
But when analyzing the results, I can see that many files have 0 size.... These files didn't gave me any problems imaging...
Do you have any ideas??

Thanks

Attachments

• No-size2.jpg
    No-size2.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 897
  • No-size1.jpg
    No-size1.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 897
  • No-size3.jpg
    No-size3.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 897

lcoughey

I recently encountered a NAS recovery where ransomware from a workstation, edited files and wrote them back with no data before deleting them. Is it possible to be the case for this? Though, it is odd that the dates showing are quite old.

pclab

HI Luke

I don't think that was the problem. The client's problem was that the drive was not being recognized (because of that problematic head 3)...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen this happen twice, where a ton of files were suddenly 0 byte size for no explainable reason. But, I think both of those cases were fully functioning drives and some poorly coded program just went haywire on the filesystem.

I think both cases were resolved by just scanning the drive in multiple DR software until one found the correct sizes. Give UFSExplorer a try first, I think that's the one that helped my cases.

pclab

So, an update.
After calling the client, she said that particular folder was already copied from another bad HDD, so probably it was not well copied.
The data she wanted (and that it's OK), are the photos.
So, case closed :mrgreen:

Pende

hello I have a similar problem in windows, a client came to me with his head damaged disk, when he changed the head and took out his information I was surprised that his files have an .mzlq extension, I would like to know if someone knows how to view his documents , thanks

Attachments

• mz.jpg
    mz.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 392