Windows 10 "loses" files/folders

spyderrp7

pclab":2ivjjmy6 said:
Your case is not the same (it seems so).

You probably have a corrupted MFT. You have to check with another software (like Rstudio) to see if it finds the files/folders.

Well it could be true. It is probable that the MFT got corrupted because of the CHKDSK that destroyed all I needed, but when I saw that post I thought that it had something to do with Windows 10 Updates. I noticed also that because of the Windows 10 updates I lost connectivity of my Android devices to my shares on the Windows 10 machine. This has nothing to do with recovery, I don't want to get off topic, but I thought maybe in some way they could be connected.

What I have learned today, and correct me if I'm wrong. In my case, since the drive works fine hardware wise, it would make sense to make a backup of just the MFT instead of all the files that are inside the drive. Does that make sense?

pclab

No, you need to backup all the files.
If you only have the MFT, it's like you have a copy of the index of the book, but then you don't have a copy of the pages...

spyderrp7

pclab":2eocrhfp said:
No, you need to backup all the files.
If you only have the MFT, it's like you have a copy of the index of the book, but then you don't have a copy of the pages...

That is true, but if the drive is working fine , but just the MFT is corrupted, couldn't I restore the files if I have a backup of the MFT? Sorry if this is a stupid question, just a thought.

jol

spyderrp7":tm0v83oa said:
How would you approach such kind of behavior?
try something like Rstudio as suggested above by @pclab

spyderrp7":tm0v83oa said:
I need to get my photos back (hopefully in directory structure).
if you do find them when using RAW search, rebuilding the directory structure with JPG files is (most of time) very easy