Which tools do you use to check scratches on the platters?

If there are scratches between the platters

(On the platters from the inside)
How can I check it without spend money a new donor drive?

Thanks.

data recovery lab":qamez0ov said:
[post]5208[/post] Hello everyone..
I started a new data recovery lab
& I have a few questions

Hi , and welcome here

first of all why you think it could be scratches between platters if apparently no visible scratch in the front platter , the problem could some where else
can you describe your case and the tool you used ?

LarrySabo

See his post on HDDGuru for pictures of the kind of damage he is talking about. I don't know of any borescope small enough to fit between platters, and looking from the side, the depth of field at that magnification makes it virtually impossible without the lens inserted between the platters.

LarrySabo

I have seen a video made using a tool prototype for inspecting between the platters and it seems to work really well. I'll inquire about permission to post it.

Permission granted (Thanks, Nikola!). Here is what the tool shows, inspecting a scratch between platters.
View attachment 3.zip

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've got some small mirrors that I use (I actually cut them myself from glass HDD platters :lol: ). But, most often if there's any serious scratches on any platters you'll see some signs of the black dust in the air filter or on the top cover around the gasket. But, regardless, it's usually impossible to inspect the underside of the bottom platter w/o removing them and that's the most important one.

Sometimes, you've just got to waste a donor to find out for sure.

LarrySabo

lcoughey":1t43ysxc said:
[post]11683[/post] Nice Larry...that would be handy to have, wouldn't it?
I'm not sure how I could use it to advantage but that's probably just a reflection of my lack of knowledge/skills. It's ingenious, nevertheless, especially getting such depth of field at those magnification levels and withing such a confined space. How would this be handy for you, Luke?