what could be causing data to shift ?

slingshot

Got this weird issue going on where I'm imaging a couple of SAS drives using DE and the images have shifted their data by a few sectors. Obviously this is causing my array to be crud. Any ideas as to what may be the culprit ? I've done several this way with 100% success but tow of them are being a compete PITA. The source drives haven't got shifted data, so somethings happening to cause it at my end :roll: Any ideas ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've never used DE for an SAS drive, so I can't help there. I always just use ddrescue or hddsuperclone.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
lcoughey":307vk4zl said:
520 byte sectors?

That was my other thought. But I can't imagine there would be a mix of 512 and 520 in the same array.

slingshot

Tried to isolate the cause of the shifting but to no avail. I've used different HBA, some RAID and some non-RAID, different machines, cables, dest drives etc. Seems to be luck of the draw, imaged all SAS drives in the end with no shifting but it took a few goes to get a handful perfect, weird case. Thinking I'll give the hddsuperclone method a try now, is best to have a dedicated linux box, is there a preferred Linux flavour to use ?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I like Parrot Linux personally. But I think it'll function the same in pretty much any Debian build.