Western Digital “slow fix” via USB

maximus

While the biggest interest on this forum seems to be the upcoming cloning tool (which I am currently working on), I would like to point out something that HDDSuperTool can do now. It is known that some Western Digital drives can suffer from a firmware issue which causes them to be very unresponsive and slow. While there are other (free?) tools that can fix this issue, HDDSuperTool is the only known (free) tool at this time that can do it on drives that are USB only. There have now been a few success stories on other forums. I would like to point out that this does not work on all drives as it depends on the USB to SATA bridge on the drive, and some do not support the needed commands. But for those that it does work on, it can perform what seems to be a miracle.

Post edited to indicate that it is referencing free or possibly free tools.

LarrySabo

I believe my DFL-URE can do it, so HDDSuperTool is perhaps the only free tool that can do it. I'll check and verify that URE can also do it and report back later.

maximus

Ok, I will not argue about the free part. I should have clarified that in the original post. My mistake. I meant that there are other free tools that can do that, but HDDSuperTool is the only known free tool at this time to be able to do it via USB. I think I will edit the original post to reflect that statement also since the post is still young.

maximus

So after I posted that, I realized that I really do not know if any of the other tools that can perform the slow fix are actually free. So are there any free tools than can perform the slow fix on a SATA drive? I would just like to make my statements as accurate as possible.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely none that I know of. And doing it over USB is quite a feat, very impressive. I've really got to put some time into playing with this tool.

maximus

jinarto":3bt4dr33 said:
[post]11237[/post] Free tool can do fix slow init ? i never know free tool can do fix slow init.
Yes, but it does not work on SED locked drives (self encrypted drives that have module access locked out).