WD3200BEKT-00KA9T0 Europa

pclab

Hi Guys

I have this Europa drive here that needs a headswap (they were stuck on platters).
2 problems here:
1st: It's a refurbished drive (by WD)
2nd: Is it possible to use another family for head donor? Have you used another family on this Europa drives?
I was going to try a Mariner, but the Europa have a screw to hold heads so I couldn't test it.

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that Mariner is likely to work. The aerial density of Europa is 881. Mariner is 1095.

I don't see any that are 881, certainly not any black drives which I know use different heads than the blue ones do. You'll probably need to find one from that family.

Jared":typ7yyrr said:
I don't think that Mariner is likely to work. The aerial density of Europa is 881. Mariner is 1095.

I don't see any that are 881, certainly not any black drives which I know use different heads than the blue ones do. You'll probably need to find one from that family.

BTW ,
Each MCU gives signals to headstack .So the schematic might change if we use other family headstack .Example if pin no 1 of the headstack uses some voltage in one family it might be ground on other and end up smoking .Hence its just trial and error .Question for jared if the schematics are all ok will higher areal density heads work on lower once ?

pclab":3ak7tf4u said:
It's written on the label.
I meant how make sure it's refurbishing by WD not Chinese people , and why a big manufacturer like wd refurbishing drive inested of producing new ones ?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Blizzard

abedalkareem":265enelx said:
I meant how make sure it's refurbishing by WD not Chinese people , and why a big manufacturer like wd refurbishing drive inested of producing new ones ?
When WD or Seagate receive hard drives under warranty claim and/or open box they test them and then recertify them to be sold at a discount or they send them out as replacement drives for customer drives they get back under warranty claims. I see more recertified Seagates than Western Digital but they both apply new labels that have the word "Recertified" or in the case of Western Digital they sometimes append a letter to the date (see images)WD recertified.jpg
seagate recertified.jpg
WD recertified 2.jpg

Blizzard":1iiyhf5c said:
[post]6806[/post] When WD or Seagate receive hard drives under warranty claim and/or open box they test them and then recertify them to be sold at a discount or they send them out as replacement drives for customer drives they get back under warranty claims. I see more recertified Seagates than Western Digital but they both apply new labels that have the word "Recertified" or in the case of Western Digital they sometimes append a letter to the date (see images)

Thanks Blizzard for the clarification