WD USB to SATA Conversion Compatible PCB Guide

nunomf

Hello,
With the donor PCB used disk start's and if i connect the disk to a machine it reply's "SMART error". Also, in deed sometimes i can hear some unsual sounds.
Booting with WINPE 10 i was able to get the disk to be detected however it's impossible to "open the disk content". At this point i really cant understand if i'm using a possible faulty donor PCB, or if, there is in deed mechanical problem's.
I'm going to try to get another donor PCB 2060-771823-000 and try again replacing the U12 component.
Thanks once again for all the help,
Best regards,
Nuno Fernandes

pclab

As I said before, I don't think it's a PCB failure.
Almost sure some firmware problem or even a bad/weak head.

Something I have spent some time scratching my head on this afternoon, for the PCB listed as:

2060-771737-000 rev A

I had a Helios in, which used a 512KB ROM. Most of these use 256KB ROM, as do the SATA equivalent PCB. Consequently, I decided to transplant the chip as I could not find any matching boards with a 512KB ROM to write via COM port. I found that using the 2060-771692-005 rev A resulted in no spin up and the HDD just entering BSY. I thought it was bad soldering at first, but I tried on a couple of different boards and got the same result.

Then I thought perhaps only the 2060-771692-006 Rev P1 support 512KB ROM. This was correct and the with ROM transplant the HDD spins up normally to RDY.

Best regards,
John C. Reid.

www.cheadledatarecovery.co.uk

datahaze

cheadledatarecovery":1se1mygd said:
Something I have spent some time scratching my head on this afternoon, for the PCB listed as:

2060-771737-000 rev A

I had a Helios in, which used a 512KB ROM. Most of these use 256KB ROM, as do the SATA equivalent PCB. Consequently, I decided to transplant the chip as I could not find any matching boards with a 512KB ROM to write via COM port. I found that using the 2060-771692-005 rev A resulted in no spin up and the HDD just entering BSY. I thought it was bad soldering at first, but I tried on a couple of different boards and got the same result.

Then I thought perhaps only the 2060-771692-006 Rev P1 support 512KB ROM. This was correct and the with ROM transplant the HDD spins up normally to RDY.

Best regards,
John C. Reid.

http://www.cheadledatarecovery.co.uk

@[ref=#aa0000]Jared[/ref] This should probably be added as an asterisk on the original list. Sitting in front of me right now I have a 2060-771737-000 REVA (USB, 512KB, has ROM chip in U12 and and what looks like ANOTHER ROM chip right next to it) and 2 "compatible" SATA boards. One is 2060-771692-006 REVA (256KB) and the other is a 2060-771692-005 REVA (512KB). In theory, doing a hardware chip swap should work on either board, but if one is just reading/writing the ROM via software, only the 512KB board will work.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The list isn't intended to break down every possible conflicting sub-revision, it's just intended to be a quick reference. There's too many possible ROM size differences to list them all in a quick list like this. That's just the stuff you've got to figure out when you're handling the case.

As you said, physical transplant should still work in such a case typically.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
datahaze":1wdq501g said:
Has anybody tried using 800022-000 on the 4TB models?

Luke did some testing and found PCBs from 3Tb and 4Tb ones with the exact same PCB number right down to the REV and they still weren't cross-compatible with each other. So there seem to be some inconsistencies with their manufacturing and numbering. If you get one from a 4Tb it'll work for a 3Tb, I believe, but not the opposite way.

I do know that the -002 board works for the 4Tb ones though.

datahaze

Jared":1d1p8z72 said:
datahaze":1d1p8z72 said:
Has anybody tried using 800022-000 on the 4TB models?

Luke did some testing and found PCBs from 3Tb and 4Tb ones with the exact same PCB number right down to the REV and they still weren't cross-compatible with each other. So there seem to be some inconsistencies with their manufacturing and numbering. If you get one from a 4Tb it'll work for a 3Tb, I believe, but not the opposite way.

I do know that the -002 board works for the 4Tb ones though.

Interesting. Do you have any theories as to why this might be? I have two 4TBs in the shop right now along with some previous ones from clients that are safer to do experiments on, I'll be posting whatever those results are shortly.