WD USB to SATA Conversion Compatible PCB Guide

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It really shouldn't matter. I've found the 771959 board to pretty much always work for the USB PCBs listed as compatible. Occasionally I've found the 771960 to be less compatible though. Perhaps it might matter what REV you're using though. I think most of mine are REV P1 and they work just fine.

nunomf

Hello People,

I'm also new in this (great) site as register user.
I really need some help of you guys. In the list is indicated that 771801 is compatible with 771823. At this point i have both PCB in front of me and i really think that they are not compatible. (escuse me if i'm wrong).
USB pcb 2060-771801-002 REV. A has 2 bios component's (U14 and U12); SATA pcb 2060-771823-000 REV. A only uses one bios component at U12 and also with diferente "shape".

Can someone help me on this?

Thanks and keep up the excelente work.

Best regards,
Nuno Fernandes

Photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n16eeq3louig ... wv-va?dl=0

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Only the U12 is necessary to be transferred. You can ignore the U14 entirely. It is a different package shape, so best to just digitally transfer the ROM code via boot ROM code instead of physically transferring. That having been said, I have found that you can still physically transfer it with a bit of careful hot air work.

nunomf

Hello,
Thank you both for your help and reply to my incident.
I had in deed replace only the U12 from the original pcb 771801-002 rev a - original to the "donor" 771823-000 rev a but without sucess. HDD is detected when connected however the disk does not start up. About the donor PCD 771823-000 rev a, it's fully working on the original disk!

I'm adding photos off both PCB's for your analisys.

771823-000 with the following component: U12 - winbond 25x20bl1g

771801-002 with the following component´s: U14 - 25u206a // U12 - 25u206a

Thanks once again for all the help,

Best regards,
Nuno Fernandes
25 January 2019

nunomf

Hello,
Original disk is not detected / dont start. Disk just stopped working / being detected.
From my (short) experience i believe that with the correct PCB i will be able to get the data from the disk.
Since the PCB's are quite diferent i had think that could be a mistake and the indicated PCB was not correct to this disk.
If someone with more experience could help me, i really appreciate.

Photos of the PCB's:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n16eeq3louig ... wv-va?dl=0

Thanks all for the feedback,
Nuno Fernandes

pclab

Those drive have many FW issues (maybe a slow busy problem). Swapping the PCB will not help.
It needs to be well diagnosed first.
Usually we do a PCB swap when the drive doesn't power on, or in case of a PCB with USB connector, we swap to SATA to have better control of the drive and firmware.

nunomf

Hello,
It's the case the original drive doesn't power on! We had tryed the PCB swap to the SATA in order to understand or get DATA. The fact is with to "compatible" SATA the disk had power on however it´s not recognized and or able to get data (not detected in device manager).
If you guys with much more experience are telling that the indicated PCB is in deed compatible, so i think there should be another issue with the disk.
My question was more related to understand if the PCB is in deed compatible with this USB disk, since there are significatly diferences between them.

Thanks for all the help,
Nuno Fernandes