WD USB to SATA Conversion Compatible PCB Guide

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
silenceman":24kx41qi said:
Hello everbody at this great place,

have to say i'm not expert for repairing hdds, and hope someone of you great experts can help me, my case is following, have WD My Passport external hdd 2TB with this PCB 2060-800067 , accidently broke usb connector and part of original PCB around usb connector, so it doesnt work anymore...

Ordered same PCB at ebay.com , replaced BIOS IC, but seems for this PCB, lock not in BIOS IC, but in MAIN IC - Marvell IC :( ... Please if anyone can confirm me, if i remove Main IC from old-original PCB to this donor's PCB, will this solve my problem to access my hdd's data, (bios is is already moved from orig to donor's pcb) ?

No. If there is an external ROM (U12 labeled 8-pin chip) then there is no adaptives in the main IC. I've never seen an embedded adaptive in the main IC on any 8xxxx series WD PCBs.

It was the U12 you moved right? And, are you sure it's correctly soldered on, not upside down or something? Also, did you pay attention to the part of the PCB number after the final dash (E.G. 2060-800067-002) That can make a difference on these. For example 3Tb PebbleB family PCBs aren't cross compatible with the 4Tb & 5Tb Spyglass/Spyglass 2 family PCBs even though they can share the same PCB number.

This board is also very easy to damage since the ROM is right next to the main IC and other components.

Blizzard

silenceman":272kvb8s said:
Hello everbody at this great place,

have to say i'm not expert for repairing hdds, and hope someone of you great experts can help me, my case is following, have WD My Passport external hdd 2TB with this PCB 2060-800067 , accidently broke usb connector and part of original PCB around usb connector, so it doesnt work anymore...

Ordered same PCB at ebay.com , replaced BIOS IC, but seems for this PCB, lock not in BIOS IC, but in MAIN IC - Marvell IC :( ... Please if anyone can confirm me, if i remove Main IC from old-original PCB to this donor's PCB, will this solve my problem to access my hdd's data, (bios is is already moved from orig to donor's pcb) ?

You mention lock, but can you clarify your issue? Are you trying to unlock the drive? Or you are just trying to save the data and it appears encrypted? Many of the newer 2TB Chargers we see these days have microcontroller (MCU/CPU) based encryption. What is your model number? If it's MCU encrypted then transferring the microcontroller should decrypt the data. If this is in fact your scenario you might want to practice on a donor, this MCU has a very tight grid pattern. BEWARE! There is a very high risk of losing your data for good.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
He said he "accidentally broke the USB connector off" so if that is the whole original issue, a proper PCB swap should work.

Blizzard

Jared":d3cen8bw said:
He said he "accidentally broke the USB connector off" so if that is the whole original issue, a proper PCB swap should work.
Well, not if it's a model that is encrypted using the microcontroller :)
The key is unique and you will need the original microcontroller to decrypt.

silenceman

Jared":2qic7dvu said:
No. If there is an external ROM (U12 labeled 8-pin chip) then there is no adaptives in the main IC. I've never seen an embedded adaptive in the main IC on any 8xxxx series WD PCBs.

It was the U12 you moved right? And, are you sure it's correctly soldered on, not upside down or something? Also, did you pay attention to the part of the PCB number after the final dash (E.G. 2060-800067-002) That can make a difference on these. For example 3Tb PebbleB family PCBs aren't cross compatible with the 4Tb & 5Tb Spyglass/Spyglass 2 family PCBs even though they can share the same PCB number.

This board is also very easy to damage since the ROM is right next to the main IC and other components.

There is 8pin IC on PCB, and most of sellers these PCB 2060-80067 rev. P1 say that is enough move this 8pin "bios ic" from originl PCB to donor's PCB, and it's done by my friend experiences electronics service, perfectly really moved, as it's his job on daily basis, and now when connect hdd to usb, PC recognizes connected device but now call it "WD Elements 25AS" or something like that, but not as ago, and HDD not visible, when i go to disk managment , there is message "hdd not initalized" and offer window to choose GPT or MBR, even i choose GPT, it says failed, and still can't see my hdd's partitions.

This is exact PCB i ordered, and ICs i wrote above, and for now is moved this top left corner, 8pin IC - BIOS IC,

https://i.imgur.com/YgdyR7h.jpg

And you are right, most of PCBs for usb external hdds is with lock in BIOS IC, but i read there is some models where is lock in MAIN IC too, info about it is here too, and for this model 2060-80067 rev. P1 , that lock is in main IC :( ,

https://www.dolphindatalab.com/product/ ... 60-800067/

It's 100% correctly soldered, not upside down, same as original was. Yes, absolutely i was carefull about exact PCB number, and ordered absolutely same as my original PCB, PCB 2060-800067-001 REV P1 , cause number is on back side, as i'm not absolute beginner , cause my job is IT, but i work in SW developement, not with HW much :) .

Yes, BIOS IC - ROM is near to main IC, and absolutely not damaged, as swaping BIOS IC is done by real expert, person who own electronic service 20 years almost, my good friend, and was perfectly done. But seems there is lock in main IC or it's about encryption.

Blizzard":2qic7dvu said:
You mention lock, but can you clarify your issue? Are you trying to unlock the drive? Or you are just trying to save the data and it appears encrypted? Many of the newer 2TB Chargers we see these days have microcontroller (MCU/CPU) based encryption. What is your model number? If it's MCU encrypted then transferring the microcontroller should decrypt the data. If this is in fact your scenario you might want to practice on a donor, this MCU has a very tight grid pattern. BEWARE! There is a very high risk of losing your data for good.

I just try to access my 2tb external hdd WD My passport, with PCB number above mentioned. Yes, you are right, it looks like encrypted, and i read in .xls doc someone posted here by MRT company where this model with PCB 2060-80067 rev. P1 is mentioned as one which has encryption , and you are right in MRT doc its called "Charger" model, and seems you are absolutely right that there is encryption by MCU/CPU - so called main IC.

My model is WD My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 external hdd with PCB 2060-80067-001 rev. P1. So if i understood you right way, moving MCU/CPU - main IC , in this case its Marvell IC, from old original PCB to this donor's PCB, will solve my problem decryption my hdd and that can access my data?

Yes, you are right, this MCU so small and seems like difficut to swap, but this friend have many tools and programmers, for re-balling this MCU if necessary re-balling, after moved from orig PCB, and then re-balling, to attach to donor's PCB.

One more thing to mention, is there big problem, if i had ago set password on this my 2tb my passport hdd, is it in this MCU, and when moved MCU from orig PCB to donor's PCB, i will can enter my old password, decrypt hdd, and access my hdd's data?

Yes, accidently in bag usb 3.0 connector broke, but just swap same PCB not help, cause there is lock , encryption or whatever in original PCB, where is probably saved geometry of hdd, number of bad sectors, password, etc., and just swap same PCB model not work at these newes WD hdds, but needs in most cases move BIOS IC - 8pin IC, but at some cases like seems this is my case need swap MAIN IC - MCU/CPU IC :( ...

Blizzard":2qic7dvu said:
Well, not if it's a model that is encrypted using the microcontroller :)
The key is unique and you will need the original microcontroller to decrypt.

You are right, when encyrpted by MCU, then seems need replace MCU from old PCB-original one to donor's PCB? Thank you very much for making this clear!

My apologize for my bad English, as it's not my native language :( ...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
siamak5561":32l5vyk3 said:
Hi
Do I need 800066 unlocked board to use or any board do the job ?

I don't know that I've personally come across any 800066 boards that were locked, but perhaps in some regions, they are. I do see some advertised as specifically being "unlocked" so I'd assume that some are locked and some aren't.

FAsTec

Jared":2aws4f20 said:
Hi guys, I know this information isn't new as it was already posted by Acelabs, but I'd like to have a sticky thread about this for quick reference. Here's a list of SATA compatible boards for WD My Passports, My Elements, etc. that have a native USB port:

USB -> SATA

800041 - 800022-000 (for 3Tb) 800022-002 (for 4Tb)

[glow=blue]Revised: Feb 29th 2020[/glow]

I have here a WD40NPZZ-00PDPT0

it has board 800022-001 REV P1 so 001 could be good for 4TB

Though we did a bunch of tests with three boards 000, 001 and 002

The behavior is that with some you can't neither detect the ROM (ROM coming from a USB drive) and some , when you write the ROM with PC-3000 you get verification error

The best solution we have found is a simple test

- have the respective SATA boards with a "good" ROM written and ready to operate
- then read the USB patient ROM through COM cable on the 800041 board (it works like a charm)
- then write the ROM through SATA

if no verification error happen, the board is good for that ROM
otherwise try the next SATA board

if a bad ROM is written on some SATA board, the board gets bricked but through COM cable you can easily write back the good ROM

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there seems to be some randomness with it. Usually, if it comes from a 4Tb, it's fine to use, but if it's from a 3Tb it can only be used for other 3Tb drives. I had one recently where we had to try like four different boards (most from 4Tb drives) and only the last one finally worked for some reason.

WD definitely did some minor revising of the boards without bothering to update their board labeling.

Flameborn

Hello!

USB type WD20SMZM-59H3FS1
PCB: 2060-810003-003 REV P1

Changed it with
SATA PCB:2060-800065-002 REV P1 (Unlocked)

Worked like a charm. Not sure if the unlocked version was needed but that was what we had on stock.

Another note: The "1" on our PCB's "REVP1" is weird. It is backwards. The tiny hat on it should be facing left side but it is on the right side.