WD Terminal in PC-3000

vrocco

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of connecting a USB WD drive by Serial Terminal to PC-3000?
Which serial adapter do I need to use?
How does it connect to the drive?
Which Pins?

I'm brand new to PC-3000 so I'm just trying to learn this stuff.
Many thanks in advance

vrocco

OK I figured out how to connect the terminal and was able to backup the ROM and the majority if the modules.

What do I need to write to a compatible SATA board to use it with this drive? Just the ROM?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Yes the ROM is all that you have to transfer to make the PCB compatible. On SATA boards this is all done through the SATA connection (for WD drives). I won't be back in the office until Monday to post a picture, but you can use the Samsung adapter on the USB models to read the ROM code. I know Bankie has a pic I shared in another forum, so maybe he can post the connection for you. Though on functioning drives you can often read it even through the USB via the utity.

vrocco

I actually figured out how to get the terminal connected and copied the rom.

I'm stuck on how to hook up just a sata board (with no drive) and copy the rom to it?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Many boards will come ready (DRD + DSC) if you just wait for a minute after powering on. Others you have to attach to a hard drive with a piece of paper between the PCB and preamp so it can just spin up the motor.

But as a last resort you can always use boot ROM code utility. You just have to attach a terminal connection which you can do using that funny looking calypso board that comes with PC-3000. There's a picture of how to do it in this thread: http://ts.acelaboratory.com/index.php?/ ... connection