WD Passport WD5000BMVV-11GNWS0

vrocco

After considering what Jared said about not having to solder ROM chips these days, I bit the bullet and ordered a PC-3000 from DeepSpar. I don't have it in hand yet, but probably will next week sometime. I'm sure it will be a long, slow road to learning to use it, but it was inevitable. :D

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations! And welcome to the pro bowl. Trust me you won't regret it. Sadly I had bought other tools first (Salvation Data) and almost gave up data recovery. But determined, I bought PC-3000 and couldn't be happier with it. Its paid for itself at least 10X over already.

It's surprisingly more intuitive that I expected once you understand the basic principles of most models.

vrocco

Glad to hear it! Now I just gotta drum up some more recovery business to get it to pay for itself :)

vrocco

OK I'm using this drive as my "learn how to use PC-3000" drive because it belongs to a friend and he doesn't really care if he gets the pictures on it back. If I can recover anything, it's a bonus.

So I copied the ROM from the USB board and wrote it to a compatible SATA board. I managed to get to to come ready and it would read from different heads for different amounts of time (at one time or another, I imaged data from all four heads). However, after a while of reading one head, it would start just getting ABR errors. and wouldn't read anymore. Now I can't get it to come DRD & DSC at all without ABR error.

I did initially make a backup of the modules when it was reading. Only one module (both copies) gave me a checksum error (6F). I don't know if this has any bearing on anything.

Like I said, I'm trying to learn my way around the utility and what everything does. What are some things you experienced folks might try with this drive before attempting a headswap?

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Module 6F almost always gives a checksum error, so you can ignore that.

Did you make a backup of the SA tracks too? If so you can use those to get the drive ready again.

vrocco

I did select to backup the SA tracks as well, but I'm not sure that all of them backed up. Any idea how many I should have? In the backup folder under "Tracks", I have from 0065 to 0256 (appears to be 2 copies of each, e.g. 0065_00.trk and 0065_01.trk)

Is that what I need?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that usually is enough of the tracks. What you'll need to do it get another drive of the same family and same head map (model can be different). First backup all the resources of that drive so you can set it back later. Then write all the tracks from the one you're working on onto that drive. After it's finished, put the PCB from the patient drive on the donor, power it up and see if it IDs as the other drive. If it ID's (which it should) you can then just put it to sleep so it spins down, and after if finishes spinning down you unscrew it and move it over to the patient drive and try reading sectors again. Just be sure to disable hard reset as that will often cause the drive to go offline after such a procedure.