WD HDD Head Swap Experiences

NATOGU

pclab:

I am from Valencia, Spain.

Jared:

When it happened the hard drive imploded, and now when I try to turn it on with a correct power supply it doesn't make any noise, is like it is dead.
That's why I thought it's just the PCB, does it look like that?

Now I have another question:
If I try to just swapping the PCB without the ROM's swap and it doesn't work, do I have another chance to try ROM's swap or it will broken again?
I am saying this beacuse I saw some information about the delicate issue of hard drives and the just one chance recovery.

So you both are saying that there are some chances to make it?

Thank youvery much to both :D :D

pclab

I'm in Portugal if you need.

If you swap PCB withouth ROM swap, usually nothing else happens. Or it works or not.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
NATOGU":3uh0u9u4 said:
[post]10164[/post] That's why I thought it's just the PCB, does it look like that?

It likely is the PCB that's blown, but it may also have blown the internal preamp.

NATOGU":3uh0u9u4 said:
[post]10164[/post] If I try to just swapping the PCB without the ROM's swap and it doesn't work, do I have another chance to try ROM's swap or it will broken again?

It won't hurt anything on WD to attempt using the PCB without ROM transfer. It might work, or it might not work. If it doesn't work, then you can try transferring the U12 after to see if that resolves it. If that still doesn't work, and the drive is clicking even with replacement PCB and original ROM, it's a blown preamp.

Sam

Patient
WD1003FBYX-01Y7B1 Vulcan RE
Aug 28 2013
HARNHTJAHBN
Thailand
PCB: 771702
Head map 0 1 2 3

Donor:
WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Tahoe 2D
Mar 14 2011
HBRNHTJABB
Thailand
PCB: 771640
Head map 0 1 2 3

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So there's another confirmation that Vulcan RE and Tahoe 2D are cross-compatible.

Even two and a half years off on manufacture date too.. :shock:

NATOGU

Jared":10imf6n3 said:
It won't hurt anything on WD to attempt using the PCB without ROM transfer. It might work, or it might not work. If it doesn't work, then you can try transferring the U12 after to see if that resolves it. If that still doesn't work, and the drive is clicking even with replacement PCB and original ROM, it's a blown preamp.

So, if this two things doesn't work, is possible to change the preamp (donor to patient)? And how do you do that?
They have the same preamp as I read (the same 7 number of the DCM).

Thank you:)

pclab

The head change it's not that simple as a PCB swap.
You will need better and proper tools to do it. I don't advise you to do it....

jol

the best way to know if its just the PCB is a multimeter
check out if only the 12V site is gone or the 5V too (Diode and Fuse)