WD EXFAT SSD minor troubleshooting partition map error

Structure56

WD EXFAT SSD minor troubleshooting partition map error

This week my computer was freezing due to software running ( this is new ) and my external drive had trouble mounting for no apparent reason . Now a bunch of data is partially disappeared . hundreds of gigabytes of healthy data on a healthy drive ? yuck .

It's a high quality external SSD , MBR formatted with two exfat partitions . I only use it on nice laptops , using security software , using new cables and a power surge protector . The data is typical day to day stuff . There is no apparent reason for missing data and this error .

--> Mac First Aid shows the parent drive as having an error , but both partitions are tested as completely healthy .
--> WD Drive Utility app shows it is a completely healthy device on all three scan process stages .
--> EASE US Partition Master surface test shows all completely healthy sectors .
--> Windows Error Checking app shows a completely healthy and repaired drive .

???

The drive remains missing data , and with some type of kink since I'm now prevented from imaging or recovering it now .

i want to avoid formatting the thing , even though that will obviously fix the kink . i have always had unfailing luck with soft diagnostic repairs , as my drives are protected and newer hardware .

does anyone have any FSCK Terminal diskutil commands ?

would this error be repaired and give me my data back if I use an app to convert MBR to GPT ?

here is the Mac First Aid error :

"First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue."

"Fixing damaged partition map."

"Couldn’t modify partition map. : (-69874)"

"Operation failed…"

cheers

lcoughey

The drive likely has a weak/failing read/write head and all the attempts to "fix" the file structure is simply making it worse with irreversible changes to your file system. If you value your data at all, power the drive off and seek a data recovery professional while there is still hope. If you don't really care about your data, then at least start by trying to get a full sector-by-sector clone of the drive using ddrescue.