Warning about using Macdrive with DE!!!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
[glow=red]This is a warning for anyone who uses MacDrive (and possibly other HFS software) along with DE to copy to Mac formatted destinations.[/glow]

I've observed something dangerous that seems to have only started occurring since the latest Windows update. Occasionally MacDrive will randomly disconnect and reconnect while copying data. When it reconnects, sometimes the drive letters will be different but DE will continue to copy data anyway (if another drive is reassigned that letter). So if you have more than one drive connected at the same time, the drive letters might switch or shift and data could get copied to a wrong drive. I'm having to wipe one now where that looks to have happened overnight while extracting data from two cases, and having to manually verify a few others to be sure it didn't happen there.

Looks like I'll be having to move all the Mac cases over to an actual Apple for now, or only copy one case at a time always.

Just figured I'd give you all a heads up.

hipo

Because of those strange updates on Win10, I disable automatic updare on all PC's. I hate automatic restart during night, even PC is imaging or coping data.