Toshiba USB to SATA Guide

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
We had discussed reading Toshiba ROM by terminal in this thread as well: how-to-read-rom-by-com-port-for-toshiba-usb-t1621.html

I think writing it back is way too much work compared to just transferring the chip. However, reading it to have a backup is a good idea just in case anything were to ever go wrong. I've started doing this before I do the transfer.

I have read that thread just now because you've posted the link :)
It is interesting, however i think i've post more details in this thread with my own research.
For example on that thread is not mentioned that is necessary to wait 7m 20s before that MCU will start communicating with serial adapter when you need to read rom.

Jared":1cz3dpkf said:
[post]8876[/post] I think writing it back is way too much work compared to just transferring the chip.
I totally agree, i did it just for experimenting, i always use hot air to move chip from usb to sata which is much more easy and fast, but since few months i started reading patient rom first via serial as you, in case that heat would kill chip (until now i never killed it) :D

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
michael chiklis":duqsp5v3 said:
[post]8877[/post] is not mentioned that is necessary to wait 7m 20s before that MCU will start communicating with serial adapter

That's because you don't have to. All you have to do is open up the terminal and press enter. It'll come ready in about 1.5 seconds. That's something I did go over in my original post.

MRT does support terminal connection in utility but it doesn't have any terminal window, so it's not possible to type commands.
Sediv has terminal window on which you can send commands, but doesn't support rom reading from toshiba yet.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So just open up something like putty and use that to force the PCB to a ready state, then unplug/plug back in the USB cable to the COM adapter so it's freed up to read ROM in MRT. Done!

pclab

Hi

I also have this to do: G3959A ----------> G3918A. The problem is that I need to solve this fast and to get the PCB(or HDD) will take a few days...
Does anyone have the pinout to solder a SATA adapter?

Thanks

LarrySabo

This was discussed earlier in this thread.

pclab":1rcbsbf3 said:
I also have this to do: G3959A ----------> G3918A. The problem is that I need to solve this fast and to get the PCB(or HDD) will take a few days...
Thanks

pclab

jol":16yktx9b said:
[post]8909[/post]
pclab":16yktx9b said:
can you upload a high res pic. ?
Yes, I can upload.

LarrySabo":16yktx9b said:
[post]8910[/post] This was discussed earlier in this thread.

pclab":16yktx9b said:
Thanks

Sorry Larry, but I didn't found it. I believe the discussion is about swapping ROM right?