Can't access data on HDD

spammsmcghee

The attached screenshot really says it all. I have an old laptop hard drive that I've been using with a USB enclosure as a specific backup for certain files that I want to keep. As the screenshot shows, Windows Explorer says the drive is empty, but under Properties it shows 32.5 GB used... those are my files. I've tried data recovery software (Recuva and EaseUS Data Recovery), and was only able to recover the contents of one subfolder, roughly 18GB. This surprises me because, since initially removing the drive from the laptop and formatting it, I've never put anything else on the drive other than these missing files, so one would think data recovery would be fairly easy, as these files should be on the "top layer", so to speak. Also, this drive is showing to be FAT32, but I'm positive I would have never formatted it that way. It would've most definitely been NTFS. I really need to get to the rest of my files. Any ideas?

Attachments

• HDD.png
    HDD.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,096

spammsmcghee

I have used UFS Explorer, but it was not able to find my missing files. Just a thought... Does anyone think it would be beneficial to do a Quick Format to NTFS and then run the data recovery software again? Or wll this bury my files even deeper?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
spammsmcghee":1dxps8kn said:
[post]14740[/post] Does anyone think it would be beneficial to do a Quick Format to NTFS
No one who has a clue would ever recommend you write any data to a drive you're trying to recover from. Formatting is always the wrong thing to do.

Have you actually scanned the drive with UFS or did you just open up the file system with it? Also, are you sure you checked the correct file system boxes for the original formatting of the drive?

CheckBoxes.jpg

spammsmcghee

Jared":2u7alhbw said:
spammsmcghee":2u7alhbw said:
[post]14740[/post] Does anyone think it would be beneficial to do a Quick Format to NTFS
No one who has a clue would ever recommend you write any data to a drive you're trying to recover from. Formatting is always the wrong thing to do.

Have you actually scanned the drive with UFS or did you just open up the file system with it? Also, are you sure you checked the correct file system boxes for the original formatting of the drive?

Yes I did. I didn't check Mac and Sun because I didn't think they would apply. But I did have all 3 of the Windows options checked. I will run it again, and get screenshots along the way this time.