Partial Recovery HDD

paulsat

Hi ,
I have 4tb HDD that I use it for Plex Movies,
For some reason it got crashed and I couldn't access the folders from windows, (says: access denied)
But I could from cmd prompt access all the folders and copy the video files to a new HDD.
However strange thing happened , All the files before 6/1/2018 are playable and everything after that date doesn't play at all.
Could it be a date issue? bcs I run check disk and there's no bad sector.
If someone had similar prob before, it will be appreciated if they can help me in this.
Thank you,

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a sample video that won't play you'd be willing to post or share? That way one of us can examine it and see what's going on.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
paulsat":3r8vm65y said:
I will check and see if I have a small file, bcs most are MKV format min 1GB.
Just drop one in Google drive then post or PM a sharing link to download it from there.

paulsat

Here is what happens.
I bought recently a Dell T30 Server and installed Win 8 on it, then attached (connected) the HDD from my old computer to the Dell Via Sata.....
At this time the HDD "crashed" and I wasn't able access thru window.
Still using the Dell, I recovered with cmd prompt all the data to an external drive. But only files older than 6 months were playable and not the recent ones.
I put back the HDD in the old computer (desktop i3) and did same recovery via cmd prompt, at this time all the files were recovered and playable, no damage!!
I'm thinking this might be operating or software issue, since Dell servers need Windows Server 2008 and up.
Anyway I could recover all, but after a stressful week end.
Thanks Jared for taking a look on my post and your help.