New FAT 3TB 4TB Pebbleb And Spyglass Research - Post Hospitalisation In Recovery Mode

Hello ,
I do not know how many of you here are aware i was very very sick and in a hospital for approx 2 weeks .I am in recovery mode now and i though i spend this time doing something new and productive .I Wanted to share my little research i am doing in Western Digital 4TB Right Now That i Have In Hand .

Hard Drive In Question ...

WD40NMZW-11GX6S1 Looks Like This

2hs5d2e.jpg

PCB Looks Like This

" I Will Add The Photo Later "

Tip 1 : The ROM is IS25WQ040 4MBit 512KB and Voltage Is 1.8 Volts .So If You Remove And Read It Make Sure Your Programmer Has Proper Support For 1.8 Volts Otherwise Its Fried ,Another Method To Read It Is Using ROM Port Interface And i Will Add Complete Bunch Of Stuff I Am Reading On It In This Thread.I Do Have Access To My PC 3000 System But Only Remotely In Lab And i Am At Home .Another Great Thing Done By Brilliant Engineers In Western Digital PCB Design LAB is That They Have Omitted The Marker For Pin 1 . Pin 1 Is The Side That Points To The Metal USB 3.0 Interface .4th Pin From There Is Ground So You Can Identify it In Case .I Am Adding The Datasheet Here In a Link -> http://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/25WQ020-040.pdf .Page No 5 Shows Us The Diagram Of The Chip .If You Need More Identification use Multimeter in DC Voltage Measurement Mode And Measure Pin No 6 And 8 It Should Be ZERO Volts Meaning Ground Pin And 1.8 Volts Meaning VCC .At That Time PCB Should Be Powered By USB Cable

Tip2 : The Only Head Swap Tool i Have Seen In The Market Is The Apextoollab Tool .This Link Of The Same Is Here -> https://apextoollab.com/head-replacement-tools/pb5.html .One Issue i Have Seen Is That This Head Stack Is Very Deep And There Is No Much Room For Error When You Do a Head Swap .I Use a Strong Bend Twezzer For Picking Up Head Stacks And One of The Two Holes Are Partially Covered By The Tool .So Before You Start Work ,Please Insert The Tool Inside And Mark The Hole Section Thats Covered And Then File It Using Round File Outside Your Laminaar Bench And Clean It Before Usage To Avoid Any Metal Debris To Fall Inside The Patient Or The Donor When You Swap Heads .Careful When You Insert heads back ,They all will bent upwards if you touch the elevated bottom while insertion .I did convey this To Andrey But i do not know if he has solved the same .

I Have Some Questions Too ..

Question 1 : If You Mod The 2060-800041-003 Rev P1 PCB Like i Did Are You Able To Get PCB Alone Ready In DRD DSC By Applying Power To USB Connector ? And Then Read ROM

Question 2 : If You Are Trying To Read The ROM Using COM Port Interface " We Will Discuss This in Length Later " How Many Minutes To Wait To Let PCB Go into Kernel Model In FBlite And SherkLT It Was 6 Minutes According To My Calculations .

What Are The Other Issues You Guys Are Having In This Family Spyglass And Pebbleb , Any Suggestions From Were To Source 3TB And 4TB PCB Of SATA Interface Natively And Are You Able To Get Them In Ready State In Kernel Mode And Program ROM Or You Do a Swap By Desoldering And Soldering Method .

I Am Still Working For The Next Few Days On This And Will Keep Thread Active​

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Another observation or two I'll add (I don't have answers to your two questions at this point) is that the drive does appear to go into Boot ROM code mode when you try to do that with PC-3000 (hdd doesn't spin up as expected) however PC-3000 doesn't seem to be able to communicate with it. So something has changed with how the ROM is read/written. Perhaps it's a different baud rate that PC-3000 doesn't support, or they've changed the commands it's using to read/write the ROM

Also, 800041-000 board is not compatible with 4Tb Spyglass it only works for the 3Tb PebbleB drives. For the 4Tb Spyglass you must use SATA PCB 2060-800041-002 instead.

Jared":avz9ur15 said:
Another observation or two I'll add (I don't have answers to your two questions at this point) is that the drive does appear to go into Boot ROM code mode when you try to do that with PC-3000 (hdd doesn't spin up as expected) however PC-3000 doesn't seem to be able to communicate with it. So something has changed with how the ROM is read/written. Perhaps it's a different baud rate that PC-3000 doesn't support, or they've changed the commands it's using to read/write the ROM

Also, 800041-000 board is not compatible with 4Tb Spyglass it only works for the 3Tb PebbleB drives. For the 4Tb Spyglass you must use SATA PCB 2060-800041-002 instead.

Hi Jared ,
I am Well Aware Of The Boards Info You Gave ,But i Could Not Understand The The First Portion Of Your Comment .I Have More To Add To This Thread Soon ,I am Sure You All Will Also Pour In Your Observations

Blizzard

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":2kwilsnt][post]12255[/post] What Are The Other Issues You Guys Are Having In This Family Spyglass And Pebbleb , Any Suggestions From Were To Source 3TB And 4TB PCB Of SATA Interface Natively And Are You Able To Get Them In Ready State In Kernel Mode And Program ROM Or You Do a Swap By Desoldering And Soldering Method
Amarbir, I purchase 4TB drives with SATA boards from eBay. The PCB model 2060-800022-000 REVP2 from the WD40NPZZ works with both the WD30NMZW and WD40NMZW. I just transfer the ROM chip. There is a lot going on under the hood with these SMR drives.

Blizzard

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":3832r1uj][post]12255[/post] Another Great Thing Done By Brilliant Engineers In Western Digital PCB Design LAB is That They Have Omitted The Marker For Pin 1 . Pin 1 Is The Side That Points To The Metal USB 3.0 Interface .4th Pin From There Is Ground So You Can Identify it In Case .
Both chips I have seen, IS25WQ040 and Winbond 25Q40VWV1G, have pin1 marked on chip and the SATA boards have pin1 identifier on PCB. USB boards have omitted pin1 marker.