USB Wired backwards, tried replacing board, still Toshiba 500GB HDTC705XK3A1 Won't work.

Hi,

So I recently built a new computer and use the old usb breakout pci slot thing to determine how to wire the new board (instead of the manual, cause i'm a moron)

Long story short, the wires were backwards, so when I plugged in my HD to this the power wire sent power to the ground of the HD (and the ground was now on power.)

I quickly removed it when i noticed sparks to the frame, and the hard drive would not work.

Purchased an exact replacement hard drive and swapped the new "good" board into the old drive, and this causes the light to come on and the hard drive to spin, but no luck getting it recognized.

I'm wondering if there was some sort of link between the circuit and the hard drive? It was't encrypted, and it's clear the board was fried, but i wonder if there are other issues inside the drive.

will i need to swap the platters or something?

Ordinarily I wouldn't care and take the loss of the drive as punishment for my carelessness, but this happens to have all of my photos ever, several years. Bummer :(

Thanks in advance

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
When matching a Toshiba PCB you have to match the full model number, as well as the number printed in blue on the PCB which usually starts with the letter G. Then you have to transfer the ROM chip which has the configuration pages.

Can you post here a picture of the PCB board so we can point out what chip needs to be transferred?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That "G" number I mentioned is on the other side. It's not on a sticker but rather is printed right in the circuitry in blue. Possibly on USB models it doesn't start with the letter G. I'll have to check one when I get into the lab.

Can you provide a closeup shot of just the one PCB so I can actually read the numbers on the board. I think I see which chip needs to be transferred, but I'm not positive given the fuzzy picture.

You should be able to simply attach the picture to the post using the "attach" feature and then placing it inline in your post. Tends to be more reliable than a lot of the imaging hosting places.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm relatively certain that the 8 pin chip labeled IC602 is the ROM you need to transfer. I've circled it in the picture below.

ToshibaROM.jpg

Perhaps someone else can confirm this as well....

So i take the old, and possibly ruined rom chip off of the old board and pop it onto the new board. and if the old rom is not shorted by something, it should work?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just be careful not to overheat it. A hot air SMD rework station works best (rather than a heat gun or soldering iron). Just put some soldering flux across the 8 contacts so they heat faster than the other components around. Heat it gently until you can remove it without any force using tweezers. (best to practice by removing the one on the donor board first to get a feel for it). Then when you go to solder it onto the new board, just put a nice blob of flux under the chip to hold it in place and use the hot air again and it should drop right into place.

Just be careful not to overheat that chip. If the data contained on it is lost, there is no possible way to recover the data afterward. You only get one shot, which is why it's preferable to digitally read it in place if you can (requires expensive equipment).