Toshiba USB to SATA possibility

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you have DDI 4 they are usually quite easy. I've still yet to need to SATA swap one of them, and thinking I might never. I'm working on getting some nice micro grabbers that can just grab the four pins necessary to make a SATA connection so I'll never need to convert.

LarrySabo

Jared":30ejfat0 said:
I'm working on getting some nice micro grabbers that can just grab the four pins necessary to make a SATA connection so I'll never need to convert.
Don't you need to unsolder the coupling capacitors that lead to the USB-SATA firmware IC?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I just meant to not need to try and find a compatible SATA equivalent board. Some bit of soldering would still be required no doubt, especially given that the chips are all on the underside of the PCB.

pclab

OK, so I'm back to this case.
My USB PCB is a G003296A and the SATA is a G003138A (removed from a 500GB HDD). Marvell chip and motor chip, both matched.
I did the ROM swap (IC606 from USB) to SATA (IC602), but now it doesn't even power or spin...
Could I have damaged the ROM??

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Could be, or could possibly just be a non-compatible ROM as that too can make the drive not spin up. Just out of curiosity, how did you match the PCB's? Just based on main IC and MC, or did you actually match the model numbers by replacing the U with an A?

pclab

jol":1gws32gm said:
[post]4354[/post]
pclab":1gws32gm said:
[post]4352[/post] I did the ROM swap (IC606 from USB)
no, you have to swap IC602

Ah damn. yeah....

The Donor HDD is a MQ01ABD050 and pacient is a MQ01UBD100, so no problem here, right?
Thanks

jol

already noticed that before, but AIUI the MCU and motor controller are the same, + this PCB (G003138A) is been used for a wide range of HDDs (320, 500, 640, 750, 1000 GB, & even 1.5TB)
so... don't see a problem with that (as long as you transfer the right chip ;) or its contents)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't think the capacity is likely to make any difference as jol said. Unless there's more platters in which case it might use a different MC, but yours doesn't so should be good.