Toshiba USB to SATA Guide

brandon.robison

Hello friends. Been following this forum after destroying my PCB for my HDD on accident in disassembling the case. After a shameful attempt to swap the bios over to a donor, I have arrived to seeking advise regarding hiring someone to ship the chip to and a new board I ordered off eBay. Wondering if anyone here is willing to do this and how much it might cost. The bios chip has a metal plate on the under side, and it is not the kind with firm metal legs off the sides. It looks like heating and then dropping in the new chip would be fine, but I do not understand the technique of keeping the lanes of solder separate while doing so and am having a hard time with steady enough hand (tried doing all this on my garage floor without a magnifying glass...) I did not cover things properly and blew off a tiny rectangular micro piece was right next to the bios chip and have decided to give up on me being able to do this. Just wondering if someone could help out for a fee in dropping the new chip in. I don’t have the numbers right off hand but it is the PCB that has two confirmed matches from the list.. a Toshiba USB and tried to swap to the G00323B? I purchased the G00323C this time and looking for a pro that could possibly help. 2 years of family photos and videos I am trying to save.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Donor Drives will do this for you. Just know that if it's a Toshiba or Seagate, and the original ROM is lost in the mail, your data is gone FOREVER!!! So shipping that out carries inherent risks.

Most of us who are in the business of data recovery only offer complete recoveries (imaging the data, copying to a new drive, keeping a backup until after you confirm receipt, etc.).

Isidoro80

Hello I have a toshiba usb 3 hd with damaged g0034a controller. if I connect hd the reading speed is very slow a few kb per second. i read in this post that i can replace the g0034a controller with a g4311a controller i got it right?

pclab

Yes, you can switch PCB, but you need to swap ROM too. Be careful with that. If you damage it, it's game over.
But probably, it's not a PCB issue that you have. Maybe firmware or even a bad/weak head.

Isidoro80

Yes, you can switch PCB, but you need to swap ROM too. Be careful with that. If you damage it, it's game over.
But probably, it's not a PCB issue that you have. Maybe firmware or even a bad/weak head.
Thanks for the reply. I thought that the reading speed was slow due to a corruption of the usb controller. i noticed that if i connect it to the pc directly it doesn't see it while if i connect it to a powered usb3 hub it sees it. do you think I waste time changing controllers? won't it do any good?

pclab

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the reading speed was slow due to a corruption of the usb controller. i noticed that if i connect it to the pc directly it doesn't see it while if i connect it to a powered usb3 hub it sees it. do you think I waste time changing controllers? won't it do any good?
You can try, but I don't think it will make too much difference.