Toshiba USB to SATA Guide

jol

very important note

Since you say:
laxrat37":e2jwgddg said:
I'm pretty new to this
Then you should know, if the ROM chip (its contents) gets damaged somehow (overheated, or whatever), then your data will NOT be accessible anymore
Or let me rephrase it (as of now) your data is gone

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":38s3d6nr said:
very important note

Since you say:
laxrat37":38s3d6nr said:
I'm pretty new to this
Then you should know, if the ROM chip (its contents) gets damaged somehow (overheated, or whatever), then your data will NOT be accessible anymore
Or let me rephrase it (as of now) your data is gone

+1,000,000 to this. Cook that chip and it's permanent game over for data recovery.

laxrat37

The board is intact. The main issue is the USB connection and since it's soldered to the board, I want to swap the USB for a SATA board. I think it's my best shot at being able to recover the data.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that is the basic procedure. Just be sure your hot air soldering technique is fine-tuned before you attempt it on the drive that counts. Too much heat or a broken pin will destroy any hope of recovery. Even professionals can't recover a Toshiba drive if that chip is ruined.

jol

laxrat37":5xln28jp said:
The board is intact.
Earlier you have written:
laxrat37":5xln28jp said:
I'm pretty new to this and have a Toshiba 3.0 canvio basics that won't spin up.
Then which one is it ?
Anyway, if you need to replace the PCB you "must" transfer that chip, and that's where my warning comes in
Sometimes cheap ends up to be expensive
In your case, that the difference is very small between recovering the data or loose it for good
IMHO, if the data on it has any value to you, send it to a DR pro who has the skills knowledge and the right equipment to handle it right
I don't know where you're located, but if you tell us, we can advise you a DR pro to send it to.
at this stage you might end up cheap

laxrat37

jol":962ev8is said:
laxrat37":962ev8is said:
The board is intact.
Earlier you have written:
laxrat37":962ev8is said:
I'm pretty new to this and have a Toshiba 3.0 canvio basics that won't spin up.
Then which one is it ?
Anyway, if you need to replace the PCB you "must" transfer that chip, and that's where my warning comes in
Sometimes cheap ends up to be expensive
In your case, that the difference is very small between recovering the data or loose it for good
IMHO, if the data on it has any value to you, send it to a DR pro who has the skills knowledge and the right equipment to handle it right
I don't know where you're located, but if you tell us, we can advise you a DR pro to send it to.
at this stage you might end up cheap

What I am saying is that the entire drive is intact. Nothing is physically broken/water damaged. When I plugged in the drive last week it won't light up or spin. The week before it worked totally fine. I am based out of NYC and would appreciate any DR pro information.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for pro recovery, I'm right over in RI not too far from you. Can't say I know of any places in NY I'd personally recommend. While a google search may reveal a couple dozen places in NY, they are pretty much all just mailing stations where they send your drive out (usually to California) for you.

Hi,
I have seen a trend here ,The trend is that the USB boards are just plain dead ,You remove native rom fix it on data board and bammmmm .Most of these usb toshibas have such a issue now a days