jol
Data Recovery Pro

Toshiba USB to SATA Guide

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:53 pm

very important note

Since you say:
laxrat37 wrote:I'm pretty new to this

Then you should know, if the ROM chip (its contents) gets damaged somehow (overheated, or whatever), then your data will NOT be accessible anymore
Or let me rephrase it (as of now) your data is gone

Jared
Forum Admin

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 pm

jol wrote:very important note

Since you say:
laxrat37 wrote:I'm pretty new to this

Then you should know, if the ROM chip (its contents) gets damaged somehow (overheated, or whatever), then your data will NOT be accessible anymore
Or let me rephrase it (as of now) your data is gone

+1,000,000 to this. Cook that chip and it's permanent game over for data recovery.

laxrat37
Data Recovery Noob

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 pm

The board is intact. The main issue is the USB connection and since it's soldered to the board, I want to swap the USB for a SATA board. I think it's my best shot at being able to recover the data.

Jared
Forum Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:47 am

Yes, that is the basic procedure. Just be sure your hot air soldering technique is fine-tuned before you attempt it on the drive that counts. Too much heat or a broken pin will destroy any hope of recovery. Even professionals can't recover a Toshiba drive if that chip is ruined.

jol
Data Recovery Pro

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 pm

laxrat37 wrote:The board is intact.

Earlier you have written:
laxrat37 wrote:I'm pretty new to this and have a Toshiba 3.0 canvio basics that won't spin up.

Then which one is it ?
Anyway, if you need to replace the PCB you "must" transfer that chip, and that's where my warning comes in
Sometimes cheap ends up to be expensive
In your case, that the difference is very small between recovering the data or loose it for good
IMHO, if the data on it has any value to you, send it to a DR pro who has the skills knowledge and the right equipment to handle it right
I don't know where you're located, but if you tell us, we can advise you a DR pro to send it to.
at this stage you might end up cheap

laxrat37
Data Recovery Noob

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 pm

jol wrote:
laxrat37 wrote:The board is intact.

Earlier you have written:
laxrat37 wrote:I'm pretty new to this and have a Toshiba 3.0 canvio basics that won't spin up.

Then which one is it ?
Anyway, if you need to replace the PCB you "must" transfer that chip, and that's where my warning comes in
Sometimes cheap ends up to be expensive
In your case, that the difference is very small between recovering the data or loose it for good
IMHO, if the data on it has any value to you, send it to a DR pro who has the skills knowledge and the right equipment to handle it right
I don't know where you're located, but if you tell us, we can advise you a DR pro to send it to.
at this stage you might end up cheap

What I am saying is that the entire drive is intact. Nothing is physically broken/water damaged. When I plugged in the drive last week it won't light up or spin. The week before it worked totally fine. I am based out of NYC and would appreciate any DR pro information.

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm

If you're looking for pro recovery, I'm right over in RI not too far from you. Can't say I know of any places in NY I'd personally recommend. While a google search may reveal a couple dozen places in NY, they are pretty much all just mailing stations where they send your drive out (usually to California) for you.

jol
Data Recovery Pro

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Send it to Jared in RI

Sam
Experienced DR Tech

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:04 pm

G003235C SATA also is also compatible with G003250A USB

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Data Recovery Pro

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi,
I have seen a trend here ,The trend is that the USB boards are just plain dead ,You remove native rom fix it on data board and bammmmm .Most of these usb toshibas have such a issue now a days
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Youtube Channel -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbIeLFJWxTux8TQu_QSCsgQ?view_as=subscriber

Return to “Toshiba Data Recovery”