Toshiba PCB ROM That Never Goes Ready

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an odd case here doing something I've never seen before. It's a Toshiba MK8032GAX that sounds to be spinning up normally, but all status indicators are solid as you can see here:
Toshiba Status Indicators Stuck Busy.jpg

I can get terminal, and can do things like read MP RAM, even read the ROM code. My first thought was that it was a bad PCB, but I moved the ROM to a replacement PCB and got the same result. To be sure I even put the donor drive ROM chip on the patient PCB and it's working fine on the donor drive. It even does it if I connect just the PCB, so the issue must be the ROM code itself.

Anyone here know a lot about fixing a messed up Toshiba ROM code?

Here's the code:

Attachments

• 000000-07FFFF.bin
    512 KB · Views: 171
Hi jared ,
i have never tried it but how about getting same firmware rom and slowly adding cp.'s from patient to it ,I think there is a method to take out Cp's from rom ,looks as if frank has a tool or might be pc3k could do it ,never tried though

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that's what I'm planning to try. It's actually easy enough to do this manually by just looking for the opening two characters of each CP. Most are only one sector in length anyway. I have Frank's tool, but the format it extracts the pages out in isn't exactly PC-3000 friendly. So I'll probably just do it the old fashioned way.

I'm just waiting to see if my quote gets approved before I spend a whole day messing around with it.