Toshiba Donor Matching Help

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So I've got a Toshiba drive here which I'm quite certain needs new heads and it seems to be a rather rare model. I don't even have a PCB for it. Normally I'd try to match the model and the code underneath E.G. HDD2E82 D UL02 T (at least the part I underlined). But given the scarcity of this model, I can't find one. Has anyone had success matching less of this code, perhaps just the UL02 part. Or has anyone had success crossing over to similar models with a similar code?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the first Toshiba I couldn't find a good match for, usually I have one just laying around.

LarrySabo

I'd be interested to know the answer to Jared's question, i.e., how much of the P/N code is critical for head matching. My patient is a Toshiba MK6465GSXN "HDD2J11 B UL01 B" Thailand, Date code J1050. Donor replacements are available for a variety of prices, so if a partial match is feasible, I could save some change.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well it if helps answer your question, I just finished up that recovery and almost none of it matched. Even the date was over a year off. So it seems that the assumption of same model and country may be correct as suggested on hddguru forum. I don't have the drives in front of me but I'm pretty sure the only part that was even matching on the donor that worked was the "UL0" part. And even that section one was UL01 and the other UL02. I guess they aren't like WD and Seagate changing heads every few revisions.

LarrySabo

Thanks, Jared. One "close" donor is available for $50 CAD delivered, the perfect match for $270 CAD, so this info has been very helpful.

jerovsek

Hello,
patient mk7559gsxf hdd2j60 p tv02 t
donor mk7559gsxf hdd2j60 p tv01 t

Will this match for head swap or I need to put attention also on FW

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say it's a very good chance that it'll match. Toshiba doesn't change the specs on their heads very often. I've had cases that were much further off and worked.