HDD Failure Rates

pclab

I don't think this is very true.
I see this the same as laptops for instance.
I see much more HP or Toshiba, than Dell or Sony. Why?
Because HP or Toshiba sells allot more than the others, so the ratio of malfuntions is higher,
If you buy 300 Seagate, 300 WD and 20 Hitachi, you will probably see a higher ratio of problems on ST and WD rather than Hitachi,
Right?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure these stats are based on percentages, not just raw numbers. And it's this companies own inventory of 25,000 drives all being used for backups, so the usage is the same.

I'll be honest, here we are seeing a ton of failed Seagate drives. And they suck to work on as we all know.

pclab

Ah crap. I just saw the chart ehehe
Didn't read the article.
Well, in here I get allot of WD and ST, but they are the ones that sell the most ehhehehe

HaQue

I would agree with what I see, most WD problems I see are dropped drives, so unless WD can make un-droppable drives, they are out of luck fixing this! Seagates are probably the lions share of drives, so more out there==more failures, but I think most agree they are crap.

I have some Hitachi portables and all 3 are making strange noises and are suspect - must backup! - but are still working. I carry them around a lot and don't get treated well. I have no idea if this is a testament to them, but the sentiment I hear is usually good from out in the real world.