1.1Pb WD Glitch

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an interesting case. The drive came in to be wiped, so data doesn't matter. It ID's as the following:

Model : WDC WD20EARS-02MVWB0 " " " " "
Serial : " "WD-WMAZC0182178
Firmware : 50.0AB70
Capacity : 1 050 439.02 GB (2 202 930 285 232)

My, that's a big drive. :lol:

What's even more amazing is that despite the fact it shows no SA access and won't let me do anything to attempt fixing it, it has full sector access from beginning to end as if nothing is wrong. Crazy!

pclab

So, data is wiped already. No one can access it.
Charge 100$ and that's it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I wipe the drives for free just to keep the salvage parts. Still is a good PCB and heads of a 3 TB drive I might need some day.

hddguy

I would not be surprised if it is some 'fake' drive. I have had a lot lately. This week I recieved a 500GB WD with label 'WD5000BEVT-00A0RT0', but identified as Zephyr and had map of '0,1,2'. Entered the SN at Western Digital RMA check at website and confirmed it should actually be WD5000BEVT-00HXZT0'. Not really sure of the benefits of someone doing this.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, this one was part of a RAID array which actually worked for a few years, but failed after the green drives couldn't handle 60,000+ startup cycles. I have the other drives too. They are worn but still work fine. This one just went haywire.