How to Move WD Marvel Module Location

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
This is something I just recently was forced to figure out. It's how to move a module to a totally new location in the SA when the area it's stored in has bad sectors and won't take a module being re-written back to the same location.

The first thing to do is check for available SA locations. You can do this by going to Tools > Utility Extensions > View and Edit HDD Resources
Then in the ABA Range tab you'll see the available ranges for SA. Might be good to take note of this, even grab a screenshot to reference.

Check ABA Range.png

Then go to Tools > Utility Extensions > Dir Editor find the module(s) that you can't write back, and change their values. It's best to sort the list by ABA so you can see what ranges are already used. As you can see in the below pic I decided to move three modules to the range starting at 379008 (which I got from the ABA range list). Just be careful that you don't overlap data, you'll have to keep track of the size of each module and account for that if moving multiple ones. I left a few extra sectors in between modules just to be safe.

Edit Module Directory.png

After this is done, press the "Write to HDD" button at the top to re-write the dir module. Then, without powering off (very important), close the utility and re-open it to load the new dir. Enter the modules directory again, check that the values have changed. Assuming they have, write the replacement modules to the new location using ABA (write by ID will almost certainly fail). Check the modules, and be sure they are good.

Hope this is helpful! :D

pclab

Ah already posted it eheheh
On DFL, it's very easy. You just left click on the module you want to move, and tell him to which track available to move. Press OK and it's done.

hddguy

The second ABA range you are writing to represents copy '1' of the SA modules. I usually relocate into the same copy but shorten length of some non important module like 'E0' which is a large module then use the now free space as the location for my bad module to reside.

I have never relocated outside of the copy's native ABA range, to be honest I never really considered it. Great job Jared :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I had initially tried adding it to the end of the same copy, but it wasn't working well there either. So I went ahead and just moved it over. I always had assumed it was possible to do this, just never was forced to figure it out until now.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like Ace had actually made a video of this (thanks jol for pointing it out). I hadn't noticed the video before, but it shows how to do the same thing.

[youtube]dssxnTZxlLk[/youtube]

I guess this thread doesn't need to be in the secrets section. Moving it to WD instead.