Data Recovery Let Downs

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So this was a big build up to a huge let down. Spend two weeks working to piece together enough SA code from different drives to get a working SA for smart hot swap, and it finally worked. :D

Unfortunately there's a steady repeating pattern of bad sectors across the entire data area consistent with a scratch, so not likely to get any usable amount of data that isn't corrupted. :cry:

Platter Scratch.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, only has two heads and they both have bad sectors like that seemingly from beginning to end. I should have known better than to take on a job where the customer tried their own head unstuck procedure following a youtube video.

I think I'm going to start charging a non-refundable up front fee for any drive that's been opened. This has happened to me too many times. :oops:

jol

Jared":fob4ph4b said:
I think I'm going to start charging a non-refundable up front fee for any drive that's been opened. This has happened to me too many times. :oops:
+1

Pcimage

Jared":3cbideqb said:

We do this on all open drives now, it's becoming an epidemic with opened drives coming in nearly every day now :-(